16. Angel

Jin bought coffee and bread before heading home. He reminded his mother not to ask anything until they arrived in his unit. Though he could see the confusion and worry on his mom's face, his mom did not ask anything. She wasn't talking the whole time.

His mom's eyes glistened as soon as they entered his rented unit. Her eyes wandered around the small home and the small bed where only an average-sized person could fit. His mom turned to face him and stared at his teary eyes.

"I'm just waiting for Namjoon's call for our schedule in the family court to finalize everything. We're getting a divorce, eomma. I'm sorry."

Jin's mom did not comment. Instead, she pulled Jin into her arms and let Jin cry. "My baby. It will be okay. Everything will be okay."

After Jin had calmed down, Jin's mom prepared the small table and spread what Jin bought as well as the food she brought. "I will not ask you why. I know you are a grown-up. You are free to share it with me if you feel like it. But if it will be pressure, I will not force you. Please know I am quite relieved that you're not under the same roof as him because I am so worried he might be physically hurting you."

Jin curiously looked at his mom who was obviously avoiding eye contact with him. He knew his mom was resisting crying. "Why did you come up with Namjoon hurting me?"

Jin's mom wiped her tear as he gazed at his son, "I haven't told you this but the last time appa and I visited you, I could feel that we are not welcome. That's why we did not come back again. I caught him several times side-eyeing us as if we would steal something from your home. He was nice when you were around but would be different when he was alone.

When our freezer broke, I took that as an opportunity to visit you because he always hid you from me whenever I call. And when I had the chance to finally talk to you, I was so worried because I could feel the sadness in your voice. I was right. Something is wrong. Are you eating well? You should. You should have come home to us instead of staying in this room alone."

Jin forced a smile as he took a pair of chopsticks and a plate, picking up the food his mom prepared, "I'm fine. And I'm sorry that you and appa experienced that. I didn't know. I'm sorry.

And I cannot go back home. I don't want to be too far from Sunghoon. I will go home once I got Sunghoon."

Jin's mom eyed Jin with concern. He didn't want Jin to worry that much but at the same time, she wanted to be honest with her son. "Do you think Namjoon will allow you to be with Sunghoon?"

Jin sighed and looked at his mom. He knew they have the same feelings. His mom worries about him and he worries about his parents. "Once the divorce process is done, I will go through that. The divorce won't take that long since it is a mutual decision. All we need is an appearance at the family court. And I have no plans of asking for funds from him so no debate is needed. I am now working with Jimin for advice on shared custody. I want to be as stable as possible because I know the court would look into that. And my boss already increased my salary so I know I can have Sunghoon soon. Please don't worry too much."

Jin's mom gave a tight-lipped smile and just put more food on Jin's plate. "I'm sorry, Jinnie. Appa and I can't be of help. But I promise you, I will be here for you anytime you need me. And you can always go home to us."

Jin felt relieved that his mom took the news lighter than he expected. Though he knew that deep inside, his mom was worried about him but he hoped his reassurance would lessen that soon.

Jin's mom pushed back the money to Jin. "Come on! You need it more. You keep it!"

Jin pouted, opened his mom's bag, and put the money inside. "You tell dad to stop working on the farm and to buy a new freezer. I looked at the internet last night and you could buy a decent brand-new freezer with that. So take it so you and appa can re-open the eatery sooner."