Prologue : The despairing encounter

*Phoenix's POV*

The silence was deafening, who knew that the Wright's Anything Agency could be this quiet? I sighed, spinning in my chair, I was debating whether or not to call Miles. It has been a while since I've heard his voice. I quickly decided against it as he's probably working on an important case in Europe.

The agency's been quiet ever since Pearl, Athena and Trucy went to investigate for our newest client and I haven't seen Apollo since the Khurain incident last year. I haven't heard from him either, he only kept in contact with two people. One of the people he's in contact with is Trucy, it isn't surprising they are siblings after all. Once every two weeks they have conversations on the phone that last hours. I chuckled to myself, not that I have any say in the matter. I mean Miles and I do the exact same thing.

I stared down at my cup of tea but ultimately decided to get up and water Charlie. Just then my phone rang, I picked it up without looking at the caller ID. "Wright's Anything Agency, Wright speaking, how can I help you?" I stated what I would say to any customer we get by phone. The person on the phone however was not a new client. "Honestly Wright I haven't spoken to you in 2 weeks and this is how you greet me?" They scoffed before I quickly replied to him. "Miles? Is it really you?" Miles chuckled.

"Are you really that surprised to get a call from your friend?" He asked me, I shook my head even though he couldn't see me. "Well no, I was going to call you myself but decided against it because I thought that you were on some big case in Europe." I told him. "Well I am working on a case but I'm currently taking a break from this stupidity." I was the one to laugh this time. "You working with Gumshoe and Kay? I can only imagine." I told him. "Well it is a tough case and I thought maybe just maybe that for once they'd be useful but it seems I was wrong yet again." Miles sighed. "Isn't that the case that one serial killer case?" I asked him to change the subject. "Why yes you may be a bluffing idiot but you have quite the memory."

"Nah I just saw it on the news." He laughed. " Anyway, how is Trucy doing?" I was surprised to say the least. "Trucy? She's doing well, Apollo and her have phone conversations once every 2 weeks. It's not surprising he only keeps in contact with her and one other person." I told him, his curiosity got the better of him. "Oh? Who is the other? Do I know them?" He asked me the inevitable question and I could feel my irritation rise. "Rockstar Prosecutor Klavier Gavin." I said, rolling my eyes and taking a sip of my tea .

"So that's why Klavier sits in his office talking on his phone for hours." He paused shortly before he continued. "Although I'm not surprised that they're friends after what Kristoph did to them, it's not surprising that they would become friends so quickly." Miles said. "I guess you have a point." I said, there was a small silence but it wasn't the awkward kind, it was the peaceful kind. As soon as it appeared it disappeared when someone bursted through the agency doors.

"Mr. Wright, Mr. Wright, please you have to help, we're in danger." I looked at the young woman at the door, she was out of breath and she looked terrified. "Ema is everything okay?" Ema started yelling while grabbing my hands and pleading. "Mr. Wright, please you're in danger!" Ema yelled at me. I must have looked stupidly confused. "I'm in what?" Ema nodded frantically pulling my arm towards the door. "In danger, you don't understand Mr. Wright, they've escaped and they're coming after you. I figured that since you helped me all those years ago the least I could do was warn you!"

We almost made it to the door when I stopped. I felt dizzy. "Wright, what is she talking about? What's going on?" Miles yelled through the phone. I began to think that maybe having that tea earlier wasn't such a good idea after all. "Mr. Wright?" In an instance I lost my balance and collapsed on the floor. It made a loud crashing sound. "Wright!" Was the last I heard from anyone and the last I saw, Ema was getting whacked over the head. It was too hard not to close my eyes and I didn't even realize that I hadn't hung up the phone.

Meanwhile

*Miles POV*

I couldn't comprehend what Ema could have possibly meant when she told Wright that he was in danger. Who would want to harm him? I was dragged out of my trance when a loud noise could be heard on the other side of the phone followed by Ema's yelling. "Wright? What is going on?" I asked, no reply came. "Ema is Mr. Wright okay ?" I asked again, a far off distant voice which could only be Ema answered. "I-I-I don't know he won't wake up, he just collapsed. Mr. Edgeworth there's something you need to know, the people that escaped are-"

Before Ema could finish what she was going to say there was a loud thunk. She must have been knocked out. Nevertheless I called out to her anyway. "Ema, Ema who are they? Is Wright okay?" The strong silence did not mean a good sign. Someone picked up the phone and broke it. "I'm afraid Mr. Wright has been...........Compromised. As for Ema I couldn't let her ruin our plans." The person on the other side of the phone said. The voice wasn't someone I recognised. They sounded smug and confident, that was for sure, their voice was laced with poison.

"Have a nice day. Oh I almost forgot we'll be seeing you soon Miles Edgeworth." And with that they hung up Wright's phone, I could only stare down at it in horror. I regained my composure. "Is everything okay Mr. Edgeworth you seem like you just saw a ghost?" I shook it off, I have to seem strong for them. "I'm fine Detective Gumshoe. We should be heading back now, I've seen everything I need to see here." Gumshoe wasn't about to give up, well he is a stubborn one.

"I'm sorry for pushing sir but wasn't that Mr. Wright on the phone." I turned and gave him a sharp glare. "I don't think I need to remind you detective that your next evaluation is coming up and I would hate to have to lower your salary again." I told him. "Of course sir, I'm sorry for pushing." I turned to leave with him following me. We both entered my office but something felt extremely off. It was too late however when we were both knocked unconscious.*********************************************************************************************