Chapter 12 : Pre-Trial Prep

*Phoenix's POV*

The investigation was over, I looked at Maya and we both nodded silently agreeing that we would make our way to the room together. Upon finding the right doors I pushed it open to discover that some of us were already inside. There weren't many of us so I easily spotted Miles in the corner of the room. He looked anxious, he was holding his right arm and staring at the elevator. I got lost in the moment because before I realized it we were all already in the room waiting. As usual Magmakuma popped out of nowhere and started laughing.

"Well what are we waiting for let's head on up to the trial!" Before he could disappear on us someone cried out. "Wait!" Magmakuma turned around facing the speaker. "Do you have a question Ms. Cykes?" He asked, tilting his head to the side. "Yes, Yes I do. I was wondering....Um is the killer really among us?" Athena asked. "But of course! Who else could it be?" Magmakuma asked her. "Well obviously she means you, you fool." Franziska crossed her arms.

"That's- that Is the most ridiculous, most outrageous accusation in the world!" The bear was flailing his arms around. ''It's not too far from the mark you know." Mia said. "I would never do something like that! And even if I did, the rules restrict me from harming you unless you broke a rule or you're caught!" His flusteredness turned into anger. "OBJECTION!" The cry came from behind me. I turned to see Miles wagging his finger at the bear. "Magmakuma."

He paused and wore a cocky smile. "You made no such rule." While everyone directed their gaze to our headmaster I stared at Miles. I knew that the act he was holding up was just that, an act. I could tell that under all the arrogance he was putting up he was just as anxious about the elevator.

"Nonsense I was sure!" Miles shook his head this time pulling out his school handbook. One by one he read off all 6 rules. "And that is that. There is absolutely no rule in this handbook here that states anything you have just said!"

Miles looked satisfied, Magmakuma grumbled and added the rule with all the others. "I promise you it wasn't me! Where's the fun in doing everything yourself?" He mumbled something about us getting in the elevator and meeting him in the trial room. One by one people slowly got into the elevator, I was about to get into the elevator myself when someone stopped me.

"Wright." I turned back to see Miles a bit worried. "No matter what happens in there." He whispered. "You know you can rely on me." I smiled and nodded. "The same goes for you. We'll solve it just like how we solve every other case!" We were the last two to enter the elevator, as the doors closed I could see Miles tense just a tiny bit.

Being in the center of the elevator means that you could see almost everything. It also meant that you could have very quiet conversations without any unwanted attention. The elevator started moving up, worried I looked over at Miles. He was quite pale and his hand was shaking. Out of instinct I reached down and locked my pinky with his. "W-What." he looked shocked.

"Shh. I noticed you were uncomfortable, I know how much you hate elevators." I whispered to him. He only nodded in response and to my surprise he didn't pull his hand away. Instead he took a hold of my entire hand. "I hope you don't mind, but this would be much more effective than just your pinky." He whispered to me without turning his head. "Of course I understand." Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a tiny smile form on his face. To make sure I wasn't caught staring I turned my head to the left side of the elevator only to notice Klavier leaning on one of the walls in the elevator.

Anyone could tell from anywhere that he was heavily flirting with the small defence attorney beside him. Apollo looked like he was desperately trying to ignore him but it looked kind of hard when they were that close. When Apollo finally turned to confront him however he earned a wink from the prosecutor only making the defence attorney more flustered and frustrated.

I quietly laughed to myself but was reminded of my situation when we hit a bit of a rough patch. I felt Miles squeeze my hand, noticing his discomfort I squeezed back to reassure him that everything was going to be okay. We hit one last rough patch before the doors opened. Miles immediately let go of my hand and crossed his arms as we all exited into the so-called courtroom.

"What's with the colors and structure of this courtroom?" Ema asked, looking around the courtroom and it's strange design, I immediately understood why she had asked. The courtroom was a strange blue and light green and in the center of the room stood 18 podiums in a circle.

"What's with the portrait?" Godot asked, nodding his head to the podium with a picture of Dahlia on it. A picture of the pendent she gave to me long ago was plastered over her face in red. "Well it's a part of the rules that EVERYBODY has to participate in this trial. Including the people who have departed into the next world." Magmakuma had explained. "And the pendant?" I asked. "Well that's easy to explain! It just means she's dead!!"

I nodded and most of us walked to the spot that had our names engraved into the podium. "A question for the fuzzy walking teddy bear." Franziska snarled. "What is it with you Von Karma kids? You just have to be so bratty all of the time! What is it?" Franziska curtseyed before our headmaster.

"I pride myself on making the perfect cases, so I do understand where you're coming from. However my reason for doing so is for the rather large audience that watches me." Magmakuma checked the watch on his arm. "Get to the point Ms. Von Karma." Franziska shook her finger at him.

"My question for you is why do you insist that you have to follow your own rules? If there were an audience I'd understand, however we are the only ones here so what is the point?" We all stared in silence. Magmakuma's laughter echoed through the courtroom. "Did I seriously not tell you guys?!?! Wow how embarrassing!" He rubbed the back of his bear like head.

"I guess I should have mentioned that this game you guys are competing in is being broadcasted worldwide in the outside world!!" I was shocked. "Ngggggghooooooo!That can't be right!" Edgeworth was doubled over on his podium. "If-If that were really true then the police would already be here!" Maya yelled at him. He only laughed at her in return.

"The police? You really think you can count on those bozos?" Gumshoe slammed his hand on his podium. "Hey pal I don't know what you're getting at but we policemen are just trying to do our job!" Gumshoe desperately tried to defend his title but it was to no avail.

"You shouldn't be worrying about the police and focus more on the trial of Dahlia Hawthorne! That IS what you are here for. We can discuss the circumstances of the game AFTER the trial, that is if you all are still alive." I started to sweat, I wasn't even sure if we had enough evidence to catch the killer.

I prayed to whoever was out there that Trucy was all right and that together Edgeworth and I would find the truth. I knew that deep down inside that's what would happen and that whoever committed this sin should be very worried.

***********************************************************************************************