Chapter 30 : Here once again

*Phoenix's POV*

Gumshoe and I walked through the hallway in silence, I decided to break it before we met up with everyone else. "Hey, we should keep everything about classroom 2-B to ourselves." I said, he looked at me. "Are you sure pal? Wouldn't it be better if we told everyone else so that we could make progress within the trial?" He asked me, I shook my head. "No, this clue is the only thing I have as a secret weapon. I'm going to use it to catch the killer off guard." He nodded in understanding.

"Phoenix!" A voice from behind us called, Mia stepped into the hallway's twisted lights. "I need to speak with you." Gumshoe got the message that he shouldn't be there. "I'll go on ahead and don't worry pal, I promise I won't say anything." He walked on, to the room with the elevators and disappeared from our sights.

"What's going on Phoenix?" She asked me, I stayed quiet and tried my very best not to make eye contact. "What's with the secrets? Do you not trust us anymore, is that it?" I shook my head. "No! It's not like that." I tried to tell her. "Then what's wrong with you? Ever since the end of the investigation you've been acting really weird, you're keeping secrets, you look like you've seen a ghost so I want to know what's going on." She looked at me with concern in her eyes. "Nothing is going on! I'm fine, I promise!"

"That's a lie and you know it." Apollo walked into the light holding his bracelet. "I don't even need to perceive to know that what you just said was a lie.'' He held his head in pain. "Apollo?" Mia asked. "Sorry, whenever I use my bracelet it gives me a headache. Magmakuma must have somehow broken it."

We nodded. "So what are we doing about this mess?" Apollo asked, changing the subject to what mattered more. "Well it's no lie that the evidence is strong against her." Mia said. "Just believe in her for now." I said sternly. "The reason I've been acting so strangely is because I have an ace up my sleeves. I'll use it when the moment is right. Not only that but Ema and Miles might have some clues to help us out, so I say let's believe in her."

Mia didn't look so sure but we were running out of time, so we decided to leave the conversation there. We pushed open the doors and found we were the last ones to arrive. "You're late." Angel remarked. Apollo rolled his eyes. "Well we're here now so what does it matter?" He added, Angel scoffed and moved out of the way. Apollo rejoined Klavier and I walked up to Ema and Miles. "So did you find anything with your tests?" I asked her. "Yes! In fact I think this could really help us in the trial."

Before she had time to start telling me about her results that wretched bear showed up. "Wow! This is exciting, I knew I'd get all of you back here one way or another!" He laughed. "I don't have the patience for this today you walking build a bear. So just go set up the trial room." Godot said, before raising a cup of coffee to his lips and taking a big sip of it.

"It's SUCH a shame that Franziska was our victim this time. She was the best at this, accusing all the wrong people. Gyaahhhahahaha." Miles glared at him. "Watch it." He sneered. "Opps, got to fly! See you on the flip side." He disappeared into the trial room.

It was silent. "I'll prove to you all that Athena was the one to kill Franzy you'll see." Maya declared. "You're wrong! I didn't do it!" Maya ignored Athena's attempt to convince her. "Now, now everyone, we must work together to find our culprit!" Gumshoe said cheerfully.

"No way in hell, I'll be running this trial, if you don't agree with my evidence on the killer, you'll have a heck of a tough ride." Godot announced before walking into the elevator. "I would if there was someone here I could trust." Angel flicked her hair and walked in after him with Jake Marshall following her.

"If we leave it up to science then I might help you, but if we just rely on Prosecutor Godot then forget it. He's the type of guy who shoots first and asks questions later." Ema said, she followed the rest of them into the elevator. Simon said nothing as he too entered the elevator. "Come on guys, please look at the evidence it couldn't have been me! You believe me, right Apollo?" Athena pleaded.

Apollo turned back to her. "I'll do the best I can to defend you but Angel is kind of right, there are only so many people you can trust." Apollo didn't look at her, he couldn't. "Are you saying you don't trust me?" She asked.

Apollo didn't answer and instead took his place in the elevator. "He's stubborn, we know that. I promise you I will trust in you until you are proven guilty." Klavier patted her shoulder and followed his rival. "We'll do what we always do as defence attorneys. After all it's our job, but let me set the record straight, I have a bad feeling that this won't go the way you think Phoenix so tread carefully." Mia advised us before she finally entered the elevator."

"Maya, please." Athena pleaded quietly. Maya shot her a glare. "I'm sorry Athena but I can't even look at you, not when I know what you did to Franzy."

"Maya." I tried to call out to her. "Just don't Nick, I've made up my mind." Maya disappeared into the elevator, it was just the three of us now. Athena let a few tears fall. I felt bad. 'Here she is trying her best to keep us all motivated and she took the time to prepare this party for us and the minute a murder happens she is being accused. This must be a set up of some kind.' I thought to myself.

I must have been frowning because Athena turned to me and said. "I'll be okay boss, just give me some time." And then she walked into the trial elevator. "Mia was right this is a big mess, I only have 3 people to defend Athena and what if the killer gets away and I-"

"Wright." Miles spoke, grabbing my hands. "You're stressing yourself out." He told me. " How can I not be stressed? The motive? The murder? What isn't there to be stressed about?" I was rambling now. "Forget about the motive, forget about everything else. All you need to focus on is defending Athena, if what you choose to do is to believe in her." I nodded. "You're right, I just need to focus on getting her name in the clear."

"Exactly, and I will be by your side every step of the way." I smiled. "Then if we're ready let us descend to the courtroom of fate." I rolled my eyes. "Always the poetic one huh Miles?" I teased.

We both boarded the elevators, as always we were in the direct center of the elevator where we could see everything. This time the elevator was much more spacious and ten times more quiet than the last time. Maya was glaring at Athena, and I could see Klavier and Apollo whispering to each other. Klavier was still standing dangerously close to Apollo but he looked serious this time.

The descent felt like forever until it suddenly stopped, the doors opened and everyone got out. I was frozen in place, I couldn't move. What was stopping me, this didn't happen last trial so what was different. I stared down at my feet slightly shaking, Miles noticed and turned to me when it was just the two of us left in the elevator. No one was looking at us and instead their attention was focused on Magmakuma spouting his usual nonsense.

"Put your hands together." He instructed me, I followed his instructions and suddenly I felt a sharp pain on my hands. I opened my eyes and they were red, Miles was shaking both of his hands as if they hurt as well. "Did you just..........Slap my hands?" I asked him, he nodded. "But ......Why?" He wagged his finger at me.

"It may seem a bit... Extreme, but you don't feel nervous anymore do you?" I froze, he was right. All of my nerves were gone and I could move again. "Shall we?" He asked me, I finally nodded. I was prepared, we stepped out of the elevators and joined the group.

"....And that is why you must ABSOLUTELY follow the rules." Magmakuma finished his lecture but there seemed to be more to it. "Now before we begin I must add a new rule to the regulations. During the trials there will BE NO CHANNELING OF THE DEAD WHATSOEVER."

We all stood in shock. "What? why not?!?" Maya yelled. "Because! That's cheating, you can't pass every trial with channeling, use your detective skills." Now will everyone take your spots and let the trial begin!" I stared at the two new pictures of our friends on their respective podiums. I stared at Franziska's and then closed my eyes. 'I will find who did this, they won't escape from the truth.' I suddenly felt a sense of calmness fill me and when I opened my eyes we were all standing in our places . "Ready to begin?" Miles asked me and I nodded. 

A/N: Hey I know I disappeared for 4 months and I feel absolutely terrible about that but I'm back. Trial will be written as soon as I figure out where to start with it because there is just SO MUCH evidence. Please keep commenting you have no idea how much that makes my day and sometimes if you comment your theories I might just use part of them. Thank you for being patient and I love you all, keep reading. It gets MUCH better I promise you. -Mandy