Chapter 18: A liar's Spirit Seminar

*3rd Person's POV*

Magmakuma pulled out an even bigger hammer than before and hit a red button. The screens showed a pixelated Iris being dragged away by him with text that read: Iris Hawthorne has been found guilty! Time for the punishment. For a moment nothing happened and Phoenix wondered to himself if this was a joke.

Then out of nowhere a collared rope clasped around Iris' throat dragging her upwards. Once she was gone the courtroom fell away to reveal a stage. The staged reassembled that of a spirit channeling chamber. The title of the execution flashed across the screen : A liar's spirit channeling session.

Iris sat in the middle of the room in front of her client waiting for her to channel the requested spirit. The client looked like a smaller version of Magamkuma and was demanding that she channel her sister Dahlia Hawthorne. Iris tried and tried but she was unable to channel her sister. Being a part of the branch family and not blessed with any spiritual powers gave Iris the disadvantage in the execution.

Magmakuma began getting impatient and pressed a switch he had in his hand. The collar around Iris' neck tightened and it would continue to tighten until she channeled the spirit. Unfortunately she was unable too and started gasping for air. The collar tightened for the final time before it unclasped and Iris fell to the ground no longer moving.

*Phoenix's POV*

We stood in silence after the execution was over. No one dared to say anything, and honestly I didn't blame them. Watching someone you know die right before your eyes and not being able to do anything about it. I felt so frustrated! Maya was crying while Gumshoe gave her a hug. I felt horrible for her, to have both her sister accused of murder and to find out it was Iris afterwards must have been traumatizing.

"Is this some kind of sick joke?" Franziska asked. Magmakuma laughed. "That was exhilarating!" He ignored Franziska's question and instead directed his gaze to me. I was still lost in thought, how could she say this was Miles' fault he didn't ask to have the disease! If anything he was a victim here. Why did she think I'd still have feelings for her? That was ages ago I've moved on! Well even if I did it wasn't like I could be with her anyways since she was dead. A million questions went through my head.

The crying in the courtroom served as a soft melody while I tried to sort through my thoughts. "Since I'm feeling so generous I'll allow you to each ask me 1 question. So do any of you have any questions?" He tilted his head. I thought about it myself. What could I possibly want to ask him?

"Yeah I do." Athena shouted angrily. "Just what the hell was that?!" Magmakuma looked unimpressed. "It was an execution! Next time Ms. Cykes I'd suggest that you don't waste your only important question on something so obvious!" Athena looked away clearly upset and I wanted to go and comfort her.

"I too have a question for you, Magmakuma." Miles pointed at our headmaster. "Very well I'll try to answer your question with everything I have!" Miles crossed his arms and tapped his finger against one of them. "Who is the traitor?" Magmakuma's face grew red. "Why you!!! You know I can't answer that! And who says there even is a traitor in the first place?!?!" Miles bowed as a thank you for answering his question.

"Why is it that Angel, Jake and that foolish detective get to have their guns and I don't have my whip? Even Prosecutor Blackquill has his Katana!" Franziska asked. "That's simple Ms. Von Karma, what's a killing game without weapons?" Franziska started sweating. "You little!" Magmakuma began laughing.

"Magmakuma!" I shouted. He looked in my direction and showed me his paw angrily. "What? What do you want?" I was ready to ask my question. "Why have there been two empty podiums throughout the whole trial? Are we still waiting on someone?" Magmakuma looked ready to kill me. "Why you ! What does it matter? All it means is that this courtroom can hold up to 18 participants!"

He stopped his angry rant and started laughing. "You shouldn't be concerned about that right now! After all you should be more concerned about our 5 missing students." I turned around and sure enough we were missing 5 of us.

I looked to the elevator to see it descending . Did they take the elevator? I realised that Miles was one of the missing people. Why would he leave? What would be the point of missing the rest of the questions?

*3rd Person's POV*

The elevator felt empty with the five of them in it by themselves. "So why are you all trying to avoid an elevator ride with everyone else?" Athena quietly asked.

"Does it really matter? The only answer most of us can come up with is that we are running away." Godot took a sip of his coffee, Athena looked to the other 3 in the elevator.

"I..... Was wrong." Franziska quietly said, holding back her tears.

Apollo stopped leaning on the elevator wall. "I remember everything from that disease and what I did.... I can never redeem myself or look him in the eyes again." Apollo went back to learning on the elevator wall. "

Well if everyone is stating what they're here for then I guess it's only fair that I too tell you why I'm here." Godot said. "I was unable to protect Mia Fey. Not just now but that time too. If only I had been awake when Redd White had allegedly killed Mia Fey all those years ago" He didn't say anything else.

Franziska's head shot up at that statement. "Wait a minute, Redd White? And your claim in the courtroom that Diego Armando was alive, you were so sure it was true. Are you telling me that you are him?" Franziska asked.

"Don't tell anyone else." Everyone was shocked. "But Mia, she deserves to know! She should ! She was in love with you!" Apollo practically shouted. "She'll figure it out, I'm sure she probably already knows. Anyway, you didn't tell us why you're here, tiger." Miles inhaled.

"Iris was right. And I was foolish to think otherwise. That is all." It returned to being silent again before the doors to the elevator opened. Everyone stepped out.

"Miles." Franziska called out to her brother.

Miles turned around. "May I speak with you alone?" He nodded and they left the corridor and walked towards the classroom where everything started.

Classroom 1-B