Chapter 3: Waves

I arrived home after a really tiring day to meet the front door unlocked.A sense of panic flooded through me as I gently pushed the door open and walked into the house.I grabbed a can of air refreshener from the attic and deftly progressed towards the kitchen.A can of irritant spray was always my best weapon for self defense in such situations.

"Mum!"I cried in shock looking at her figure taking something from the fridge.

"Oh,hi Sweetie."She smiled placing a kiss on my forehead.

"I forgot to lock the door behind me again,I guess."She laughed noticing  the weapon in my hand.

"Aren't you  supposed to be at work or something?"I asked looking at her light blue sweater and jean clad figure.She hadn't even taken her jacket off

"I know,I forgot a really important file and came back to get it."
She said picking up her car keys from the kitchen table.

"I whipped up a salad for you guys.You should be fine with that, okay?" She said slinging her Versace bag over her shoulder.

"Love you."She called walking out of  the door.

"Love you too."I replied locking the door behind her.Trust Mum to get forgetful when she's really stressed.She was a Hotel Manager and rarely stayed out late but at times work just had to call.

I went upstairs to get changed and came back down to do my homework.I wasn't really a big fan of locking myself in the room when no one was home.After drinking a bottle of vitamilk,I spread  my homework books before me and got to work.

My phone beeped as a new message loaded on my homescreen. I tapped on my screen to open my typing interface.I scanned through the message and typed out a reply instantly.

Jay : Hey...You done with the edits?

Me : Yeah,I will send it later.

I placed the phone on the table and went back to working out my sums.A minute barely passed when my phone pinged with a new notification.This time,I stared at the message for a while before contemplating on what to type back.

Jay : You looked bummed out during lunch, are you
okay?

Me : Idk,I was a bit moody!

Jay : Why don't u try talking it out?

Me: With?

Jay: Your boyfriend,or me I guess?

Me :Lol I  don't have a boyfriend.

Jay : Cool

Me : Cool?

Jay : Yeah,then u can talk to me.

I took a minute from the next text I was to send and looked at his reply.Was Jake Greene trying to flirt with me or he was just being genuine?Anyway,it didn't matter.I couldn't tell him it was all Jessica's fault that I felt a bit withdrawn during lunch.Plus I wasn't telling him that Jessica had feelings for him .I didn't want to be apart of her love life.

Me : Now that we're talking abt it I'm ok.

Jay : I can't trust that.

Me : Meaning?

His call came through forcing me to stop the next text I was typing. We got talking in some few minutes after him explaining that he needed to call me to make sure my voice proved I wasn't as crabby as I was during lunch.
Speaking with Jay was unbelievably very pleasant if you looked past his rotten attitude.His rich vocabulary admiringly made him sound so appealing.We spent a great deal of time talking about ourselves and sharing little secrets.
I learnt that he had a little brother,Mike who loved cookies and a  big sister, Kayla was in a college in France.For some reason, he found it difficult to  tell  to me much about his sister.Maybe distance had made them grow apart.
I was so engrossed in the call that I didn't hear the doorbell ring.It was only when I heard the repetitive sound of fists banging the door followed by my name and several cuss words that I hurried to the door to let the person in.