Chapter 5 : Life Saver

Social Studies was a drag.I took out a pencil from my pouch and started doodling some unidentifiable creatures at the edge of my notebook,a self entertaining  mechanism I had developed over my two  year stay in high school.
I was so engrossed in my art that I didn't notice when the teacher stopped teaching and was staring intently my way.

"Miss?" I heard the teacher's voice call out . I snapped my attention from the book only to realise that he was looking my way.I looked up  at him shocked placing a hand on my chest to ascertain if it was me he was referring to.

"Yeah you,the girl sitting near the lad with the black rimmed glasses."He  guestured my way.

"Can you repeat what I just explained to the class?" The teacher asked raising an eyebrow.I stared at him fear stricken,my mind going blank and my lips dry.My mouth opened and closed trying to  mumble something coherent.

"You told us..." I repeated  having no idea of what he'd just said or what he said throughout  the lesson.

"The answer is not in my face!"He  snapped at me.

I swallowed and looked down in embarrassment wishing that the world would open up and swallow me.Unfortunately it was reality...such things didn't happen.
I fidgeted with my fingers and looked up at him.It was time to admit that I hadn't been paying attention to his lesson and receive my first ever detention.

"You were on the part about Abraham Lincoln, popularly Honest Abe or the Great Emancipator , born on February 12,1809 near Hodgenville , Kentucky."  A familiar voice cut in directing a wink at me.

I sighed in relief all the tension I felt immediately diffusing. Resisting the urge to mouth Jay a very big thank you for having my back ,I whipped my gaze to the front of the classroom determined not to mentally wander off again.

"That's good Mr. Greene but remember to answer questions posed at you,understood?"The grim Social Studies teacher chastened turning his attention back to the board.The disappointment of not catching me in his trap was evident on his face as he continued with his lesson  after sneaking a glance at me.

"Sure."Jay nodded in reply taking a cursory glance at me.

The bell rang fifteen unbearable minutes after this incident and I scurried out of the class trying to keep up with Jay.He walked tall and athletic,a strap of his black backpack  across his shoulder.

"Hey,"I greeted taking a few strides to keep up with him.

"Oh,hey."He replied stopping to acknowledge me fully.He plastered a smile on his face and looked up at me,his eyes lighting up.

"Thanks,"I started.He raised an eyebrow in question.

"For saving me back there."I clarified looking up at him gratefully.

A hint of a smile tugged at his lips before his facial features went back to normal within seconds.

He spoke back with a controlled voice,"What are friends for?"

"And to be completely honest, the man looked pissed right from when he entered the classroom.I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of  taking it out on a pretty innocent soul."He added mischievously.

"Thanks a lot anyway,see you later."I smiled hugging my Social Studies textbook to my chest.

"Sure thing Parker."He chuckled  raking his eyes over me and stepping back to let me turn and walk off in the  direction of my next class - A  typical flirty teenage boy.I  playfully rolled my eyes and quickened my pace to get to my next class.