Chapter 38 : Touches and Boners

"Surprise!"The entire house screamed amidst claps and jubilant shouts when the front door creaked opened.

Rachel's Mom poked her head into the house before deciding to step in , happiness radiating from her face.The house was beautifully decorated and the confetti littering the floor plus the silver and gold theme made everything stand out.The lights were beautiful and bounced back on her pretty face even the African artefacts were decorated with chain hearts and shiny crowns.

She meandered her way past the throng of family, friends and we'll wishers before standing right before Rachel.

"Happy Birthday Momma."Rachel laughed in-between hiccups, holding back the evident downpour of tears.

Her Mum engulfed her in a hug as they both smiled and cried,with Ari getting everything on tape.She looked like a social butterfly I could tell,for she was constantly updating her Instagram page with random pics she took of everybody, leaving an easy feeling at the pit of my tummy.

The party raged on and I spent the little time I had with Jay, playing catch up and painfully reporting the minor changes back at school while he worked the photo stand, taking shots of Rachel's Mom and family.The work was tiring,you could see it in his eyes.So I subtly wondered why he took it on in the first place.

I noticed though that his wound hadn't healed properly ,for he walked with an almost unnoticeable limp.I internally cursed myself for being the reason he was in such a mess.And there I was, hypocritically doing the one thing which would hurt him most if ever figured out.
I gently backed away from him and after explaining I had a headache  left the party for home with a bittersweet taste playing in my mouth.

Rachel seemed to look disappointed that I was leaving early but probably my teary eyes and gloomy face made her let me be.

The ride home was peaceful,there was no traffic and I played no music.Stepping out of my car,I slammed the door shut and walked up to the door.

"I thought you'd be staying over."Mum greeted with a hug.

"It's a school night Mum."I chipped back not wanting further questions.

"Did Ruby like the Clay Vase I got her, she's always had a knack for antiques."Mum asked if Rachel's Mum liked her present.

"Yeah ,she did.Goodnight Mum."I answered finding my way upstairs.

"Goodnight Sweetie."She called back nestling the cup of coffee in her hands.She was probably up late sorting out stuff with her foreign clients.

                                                  ***

I turned groggily in my sheets bundled over my body,my head ached terribly.My eyes I was sure of was bloodshot and puffy,an aftermath of crying  myself to sleep.
It all hurt, being friends with someone you loved and continuously having to hurt him and yourself.Pretending you didn't care as a facade to nurse you hurt.This all brought back a new wave of tears in my eyes and I struggled to fight it back.

"Sweetie,it's an hour before school starts.Can I come in?" Mum called from outside after tapping on my bedroom door.I had heard the faint tap on my door but I was preoccupied with my thoughts to pay much attention to it.

"Yeah sure.,come in."I replied with faked enthusiasm roughly wiping away stray  tears with the back of my palm.

"Oh dear,you don't look soo well .Come on,get dressed and we'll pop by the hospital."She fussed moving to the bathroom for a thermometer.

After checking my temperature and realising it wasn't necessary to dial 911, a little relief flooded across her features.

"It's just a head ache Mum,"