Chapter IX - Searching for The Sergeant

It hadn't taken much for Steve Rogers to convince the genius that was Howard Stark to do something incredibly stupid. Just one sentence: "I have a plan and it's kind of dangerous." So now he found himself shouting over the engine as Stark circled the drop point.

"You know Cap, once you're down there you're completely alone. No radio, no back up, nothing. You sure about this!?"

"I've never been more sure. I'll see you back at base. Tell them to be ready. Who knows what these men have been put through!"

He afforded himself one last glance at Peggy Carter, sitting quietly opposite him with a look of extreme concern before he jumped.

"Howard! He didn't take a chute!" Peggy screamed as she jumped from her seat, grabbing the side of the jet and desperately searching the darkness below for the falling soldier.

"Sit down Carter. The man's a Super Soldier. It's going to take more than that to hurt him. If you fall out of the plane looking for him though..."

He raised an eyebrow suggestively as Peggy shot a look back before taking her seat and strapping back in. The small smile she tried to hide seeped into her voice costing her the cutting tone she aimed for.

"Turn this thing around then. Lizzie is probably beside herself right now and I don't think Sergeant Matthews appreciates it when I leave her for too long. She gets... well let's just say one soldier on crutches might have his work cut out for him."

**

Once inside the base Steve found himself surrounded. It felt like he fought one hundred men. A kick to the back of his neck sent him flying across the damp hallway. He didn't have time to stop and fix the spinning of his head or the ringing in his ears. Instead he span on his heel, pulling the pin from the grenade and launched it into the swarm of men running towards him, guns raised.

**

"Put the bandages down and step away from the sleeping soldier."

Sergeant Matthews stood behind Elizabeth, his arms straining against the crutches that supported him as he struggled to remain upright.

"Matthews why are you out of bed?"

"Because Agent Carter won't steal me anything else from the Colonel's tent if I let you have a breakdown without her."

"I believe she also said you'd get nothing if you told on her too, Sergeant." Elizabeth sighed as she put the bandages down and turned to face her most stubborn patient.

He grinned.

"She did. But you wouldn't tell on me. It's not your style."

**

Landing back at the base Peggy was greeted with the hostile glare of The Colonel.

"Agent Carter. Mr Stark. My tent. Now." His voice was biting as the ice of his stare fixed the pair to the spot.

"With all due respect General, I don't answer to you." Stark bit back, a smirk on his lips.

"No. But that soldier you just dropped off in the middle of a Nazi stronghold does. Tent. Now."

Peggy glanced at Howard before following the Colonel to his quarters. This would not go well if Stark didn't keep it shut.

**

"That's another win for me Miss Halsted." Sergeant Matthews took Elizabeth's cards from her and shuffled the deck once more before laying out a new hand.

"Cards aren't really my thing Sergeant. And we should probably get you back to bed."

"Miss Halsted," Matthews whispered in mock outrage, "I am a happily married man. And besides, what would your soldier think?"