Chapter XX - No Going Back

The fight had come much sooner than they had anticipated. As Steve fought his way through the dozens of Hydra Soldiers standing between them and their only means of getting to Johann Shmidt's jet Elizabeth ran beside Peggy.

"Are you sure about this Lizzie?" Peggy called over her shoulder after firing a shot at a soldier running towards Steve.

"I need to see it Peggy. I need it to be over." Lizzie flinched as another gunshot went off behind her and Peggy swung around, pulling Lizzie into a sheltered corner and firing off another round.

The familiar push of air shifting around the slick vibranium that sliced through the space around them rushed past where the women now crouched, followed by thuds and cries of pain before silence fell.

"Everyone okay?" Steve called as he ran to them.

Peggy glanced at Elizabeth as she held the small pistol Peggy had gifted her days before. Her hands shook slightly as her grip tightened and she got to her feet.

"Lizzie, don't do this. Let Steve handle it." She reached out and gently lowered Lizzie's hands, easing her grip and brushing her fingers over her whitened knuckles. "He can do this."

Elizabeth pulled away. She wanted to stay, to turn around and go back to base and pretend that it was all okay, but she couldn't. Every time she closed her eyes she saw his face, every time she fell asleep she felt his arms wrap around her and every time she woke for the shortest second she forgot he was gone and then her world would come crashing down upon her and she would die inside all over again. She would hear Zola's voice telling her no one was coming for her, telling her they had taken her to get back at Bucky, telling her she was theirs. She would feel the pain of knowing he died trying to get to her. He died trying to save her. He died.

"I need to be there Peggy. Please, you know I can't..."

Peggy reached up and brushed the tears from Lizzie's cheek.

The screech of wheels echoed as Colonel Phillips swung beside them, barely coming to a stop before he threw the door open.

"Get in!"

Steve grabbed Lizzie's arm and yanked her into the car as Peggy threw herself into the backseat. Ahead of them the engines of the jet fired up and the ground beneath them shook. As the car raced forwards Steve held tightly to Lizzie.

"Last chance to back out Halsted." He shouted, his eyes serious and his jaw set.

"No chance Rogers."

"Right Cap, get Elizabeth up there. Keep her safe, eliminate Shmidt and get back to base. It's simple really." Colonel Phillips grimaced as they approached the back hatch of the carrier and Lizzie prepared herself for the pain of the next step.

"You ready Lizzie?" His hands gripped her waist as she positioned herself on the edge of the door, ready to boost herself further when he threw her.

"As ready as I can be!" Her voice was drowned out by the noise of the engines and her heart pounded behind her ears. She felt sick.

As Steve lifted her and threw her into the air Elizabeth put as much force as she could into jumping, launching herself forwards and onto the cold metal floor of the jet. She gasped as the force knocked the wind from her lungs and she rolled onto her side. She watched as relief flooded Steve's features and Peggy grabbed hold of his arm.

He turned to face Peggy Carter, drinking in the soft features and the silent strength in her eyes. She was his reason to return - to get this done - she just didn't know it.

"I'll see you soon." His eyes traced her features as he committed them to his memory.

"Steve, wait!" Peggy climbed out of her seat and gripped his shoulders. "Get out of there as soon as you can or I will kill you. I mean it."