Chapter LXXIII - No Second Thought

Loki, ever present and ever distant, watched on as Elizabeth fought to regain the upper hand against Natasha. She twisted as Natasha span and she dove when Natasha charged. Within seconds the women had gripped each other in holds designed to fully incapacitate the opponent and Natasha pulled Elizabeth's head back by her hair. He watched as pain and frustration flashed behind her eyes and she rocked back, flipping herself over and pulling the Russian Assassin down to the ground with her. They landed in a twisted heap, groaning as they rolled away from one another and the two Super Soldiers reached down to them, shaking their heads as they pulled them to their feet.

Over head darkness formed and Loki's breathing stilled. The warm caress of a summer's evening still brushed against them and the air had no chill. There was no speckle of rain. The gentlest traces of white puffed clouds kissed the sky and the world was calm. And yet, the birds stopped singing and the babbling of the lake seemed silenced and Loki knew.

He was coming.

Loki launched himself from the corner of the rooftop he had found solace in and closed his eyes as he hurtled towards the ground, his body spinning as he flipped at the last minute. He landed on his feet with a gentle thud before snapping his head up and pushing himself forwards, scattering a spray of gravel and grit behind him. He ran to where Elizabeth trained, his eyes panicked and wide as he screamed for her to run.

"Go now! Elizabeth!" His cries carried to the group as a beam of white light tore through the grounds, spreading silver flames where it went. "Elizabeth, he is coming!"

Loki was thrown backwards as she turned to him, her eyes locked in fear; no whites or browns let untouched by the brilliance of blue. His head smashed into the ground with a deafening crack and there he was; the thing long feared and despised. He stood tall. He towered over them. He did not come alone.

Thanos cocked his head to the side as an obscene smile danced across the thin mauve lines of his lips. Bucky wrapped his arms around her, pulling her back from where the being now stood and he watched as the team instantly transformed around him. They jumped to action; weapons pulled and aim taken. They gathered around Elizabeth within seconds and Thanos simply laughed.

"You are magnificent, my child."

His voice was calm, controlled, almost whispered and Elizabeth stared in terror as he took a step towards her. His hands were out, palms up, and he lowered his head; approaching her like she were a small child unaware of the threat he contained.

"I do not wish to hurt you Little One," he soothed and Bucky pulled her further from him. "But I warn you now, I will destroy these people if you do not come willingly."

Tears fell from her eyes as the flicker and fire of her power began to lap at her hands; whispered secrets of the world reached towards her, calling to her, feeding her as she stared, unable to move. The buzz and crackle in the air told her a storm was coming and yet the sky was clear.

Behind Thanos, creatures of all shapes and sizes stood proud, watching and waiting. Some licked their lips, tasting the promise of violence and destruction. Others flicked their weapons in the air, picking off the Avengers one by one in their mind. Elizabeth took a small step forwards, shaking herself free of Bucky's grip.

"Doll." His whisper was pained and afraid. "Please don't do this."

She turned to him, an aura of blue wrapping around her and pulsating with each heavily laboured breath she took.

"Simple, right?" She smiled sadly.

"Simple." He nodded as he rushed forwards to her side, pulling her lips to his and kissing her desperately.