Chapter LXVI - A Fragile Thing

"You okay there Sammy?" Elizabeth gave a sweet little smile, winking conspicuously as Sam shot her a look that told her one more word would be her end. She grinned at him, scrunching her nose and biting her lip and his eyes widened in warning.

"Perfectly fine Lizzie." He turned to face Sharon careful to compose himself before he spoke, his eyes quickly dancing over her body as he put on his winning smile and held a hand out for her. "Sam Wilson, nice to meet you."

A soft peach bloomed beneath Sharon's skin as the man she had been watching so closely all night smiled confidently at her. Her mouth went dry and her hands trembled as she shook his hand and glanced over at Elizabeth, now grinning as Bucky rest his chin on her shoulder, his arms tight around her waist.

"It's a pleasure to meet you Sam." Sharon's voice came out breathy and light which sent a fresh wave of embarrassment through her as her blush deepened.

The soft chuckle of Steve's laughter drew Bucky's attention from the woman in his arms to his best friend. Both Elizabeth and Steve were watching Sam and Sharon intently, smiling to themselves as their conversation began, watching as the dance of flirtation moved itself into existence.

"So you're a Carter, huh?" Sam raised an eyebrow as he spoke, his smile softening into a casual grin as he gazed at her with blatant admiration.

Sharon giggled and Elizabeth grinned.

"I am indeed. Although Aunt Peggy was, and always will be, the most impressive of us Carter women."

Sam traced his eyes over her once more and Steve rolled his eyes.

"I don't know Miss Carter," he grinned as she blushed and pushed her hair behind her ears, "I'm pretty impressed."

As the two continued to talk, both laughing and ignoring those around them Bucky brushed a kiss against Elizabeth's cheek, squeezing her gently as he pulled her attention from the show before her and back to himself.

"Do I want to ask what's happening Doll?"

Elizabeth sighed, closing her eyes and leaning her head back against Bucky's shoulder as he held her. She smiled softly when she felt the stubble of his jaw tickle against her neck as he peppered ghosts of kisses against her shoulder.

"She's been watching Sam. And I think they'd be a good fit." She giggled as she felt the caress of his breath on her neck as he sighed. Of course he wasn't surprised to see her meddling in her friends romantic lives, hadn't that been what linked her and Peggy so closely? Their willingness to step in and step up to help each other with their soldiers. In fact Lizzie had made quite the pastime of finding ways to push Steve and Peggy together in the war; from insisting they all ate together at least once a week "as Lizzie's own little family" she had said, to finding errands for Steve to run for her when she was busy in the medical tents, knowing he would need to ask for help finding things that he didn't have access to and knowing Peggy would be waiting for his bashful, shy search for assistance.

"So let's give them some space." He chuckled as Elizabeth groaned and Natasha glanced over to them both as they stood in whispered conversation. She had been watching Thor as he drank with the interns, amused by his display of showmanship as he sat discussing missions and mistakes and allowed them all to revel in the attention of the Mighty Thor, and so, when her attention came back to the group she was lost.

"What's happening?" She whispered as she leant around Steve to catch Elizabeth's attention.

Bucky grinned at her and nodded towards Sam and Sharon.

"Steve, Nat?" He spoke loudly, grinning as Sam glared at him. "Can Lizzie and I borrow you for a moment? It's about the wedding."

He removed his arms from around Lizzie, slipping his hand into hers instead, and pulled her away with him as Steve and Natasha followed, light giggles carrying in the air as they left The Falcon to impress one of the CIA's finest.