Chapter thirty-eight

Cнapтer 38; We Lιe Вeѕт Wнen Ιтѕ Тo Oυrѕelveѕ
~
A red haired 8 year old girl sat upon a blanket residing in the middle of a courtyard surrounded by roses.

The child's cheeks made rosy by the cold wind caused her to seem paler than normal. But the image of it caused others to warm up to the child at the sweetness of it. Especially the golden eyes she possessed that seemed to radiate warmth form their very core; even with the underlying coldness in them. Even if the girl was being left out the whole while by the other children surrounding the space.

A blonde haired child sat next to her thought so as well and couldn't resist grabbing her hand and whispered to her in the midst of the giggling from the other children. "You should come to my manor tomorrow and have lunch with my family."

The girl smiled as brightly as the stars and whispered back with an improved enthusiasm. "I will ask my father, Miss..." the fragile girl asked with a pause, in wait for the child to say her name.

"My name is Damita Curcio, daughter of Baron Dezi Curcio." The child grinned with her ocean eyes.

"It is very nice to meet you on this beautiful summer day!" The girl had never had someone to talk to like this. Never this happily.

"Indeed! We should get to know each other with the promise of being friends!"

The red haired girl weighed the information in her mind.
'A friend..'

the fragility of the girl revealed itself as she spoke once more to please the child to want to be friends with her even more. "I have never had a friend before, I hope we become good friends."

'I can't wait to ask father!'
The girl was gleeful and truly happy. A happiness she hadn't felt since her first hug from her brother. Although he had to leave the very moment after for the academy as the holiday had ended.

•••
My grandmother kept her promise as she makes the guard open my cage. Not without a very handsome bribe of course. The guard has to help me stand on my barely working and now too thin legs. Looks like my muscles have gotten to be almost nonexistent.

The man who barely ever says a word then unlocked the wrist cuffs. They made a clanging noise as they drop to the ground. I distastefully glare and upturn my lip at the dried blood clinging to the inside of the metal. What a shame that I dirtied the metallic with my dirty blood isn't that right? I rub my wrists and I snarl under the viewing of the two people standing near me still.

The guard helps lead us out of the dark hallways and when we reach towards the end, I can see the door to the outside world. My heart starts to beat in my ears. I could feel the thunderous beat telling me of my need to feel the sun on my face. The warmth has never been sufficient to feel or even view through the barred and tiny window in my cage.

My fingers twitch and my arms reach forwards in front of me. I place my palms flat on the surface and push. The guard nor my grandmother stop me. I guess they know I need to do this.

It opens and I lose my breath at the light. The light I vowed to see again someday. Although it feels wrong somehow. Even though every time I am locked up I still wish for this warmth. But I guess when a creature is locked up all their life they don't know that being in a cage is wrong. They just come to know it as normal.

"What a wonderful day isn't it my dear?" Her tone is like a threat and I don't look at her so I have no idea of the gentleness hidden in her words.

I keep my head turned away from her. "Yes." My answer sounds meek because Of my struggle with the emotion that I am not allowed to be out here, free.
I fear her reactions more so after this and I shudder at that fact. As it means she will inevitably come to know a weakness she can use against me. "It's very beautiful." My voice is soft and quiet as I stare at the sky. The clouds not able to dampen the rays of the blindingly dazzling sun. I squint from the power of it.

"Well then let's be off dear! We are after all escaping your death sentence given by the prince of this kingdom!"

I pick a daisy from in front of my feet. I twirl the stem between my fingers before letting it fall. How weak this flower is. I need to be stronger to survive this lifetime. I will not repeat this ever again.