Chapter twenty-three

Cнapтer 23; Even Тнe Вroĸen Parтѕ Oғ Yoυ Can Ѕтιll Learn Wнaт Love Ιѕ
~
A lonely girl sat at the window-seat. Watching the every move of her big and courageous brother board the carriage waiting to take him to the academy for knights to be.

She didn't let the tears gathering in her eyes fall like she wanted to. She couldn't when her protector was waving his hand goodbye at her— mouthing to her words of 'I love you'.

The memory quickly faded into a chilling nightmare. Swirling tendrils of black curled around her ankles and dragged her from the window-seat down into the floor.

The scene morphed into a scene of the day she dies. His viridian eyes taunting her as shes meeting her demise. Grinning like the Cheshire Cat in her favorite bedtime story.

•••
"Now, what would you be doing here.. I mean after all this time I thought you might've been dead." I cross my legs, sitting at the edge of the bed. My legs got tired of pacing.

The man stiffens a bit and speaks up from his place still by the door. His words muffled from his uncomfortableness.
"I came because I heard that my sister has gotten herself into some trouble as of late."

"How wonderful!" I laugh in a condescending way. "Is that what you heard. Oh, but dear stupid brother, you have been led astray."

"That what father said in the letter he sent to ask me to come back for you." He shifts on his feet, clearly still uncomfortable.

"No, I haven't made I'm any trouble for anyone. I've only taken back the thing belonging to me. The thing I'm entitled to own. I took back myself." My nose twitches and wrinkles in a snarling expression of contempt.

The clean blooded heir has returned. Cassian always has been the Dukes favorite child. He's always been the hero, the one destined to slay the cold hearted villain. All because my blood has been dirtied since before my birth. Smeared and swirled with my filthy mother's blood. I can still feel that lingering bit of resentment for my mother birthing me into this world- for not ending it all when she has found herself with child by Duke Clive. A mistake is what it was- what I am.

"So what have you been ordered to do with me, or do to me, hmm? Young Duke. Punish me? Kill me?" I squint slightly.

He clears his throat, still looking away from my eyes. I notice his vibrant green eyes flicker with something. It glints like a dagger in the light.
"I have been ordered to get rid of you. I intend to follow fathers order. I just wanted to let you know so you aren't hurt later."

"What an absolute jester you are. Hurt? You think I'll be hurt by anything you or Duke Clive does to me anymore?!" I rush to stand.

"Why do you not call him father?" He knits his eyebrows.

"That's what you are worried about?" My hands slide down my face as I stagger from the dizzying information.

"I don't have time for this. You may get rid of me later. For now I have to find nana. You do remember our nana don't you?" I query.

I walk towards him, intending to leave to search. I twist and turn my wrist in his grip in an attempt to wiggle free.

"I can't let you leave yet. I need you to listen to me. You need to stay in your room for the foreseeable future. I want to try to speak with father about changing his order. Though, like I said, I intend to follow his order. But before that we should speak with father about nana." We make direct eye contact.

"I don't know why you want to help me but let's get one thing straight. I don't like you nor can I ever trust you. But I need your help to find nana." I decide and he smiles a little.

He holds the door like a gentleman, though he is anything but.

I slide through the opening first and he follows my lead. Walking to the Dukes office side by side. Him acting almost as my escort. Arms interlocked with one another.

"Why did you only come back now?" Why didn't you come whenever I needed you and asked for you to return? I always just wanted you to hug me.

"I was busy."

"Why didn't you make the time to come visit at the very least for a day or two." Why were you never there for me? I'm your only sister. We're supposed to be precious to one another.

"Too far away from the academy."

"So, you come back for father but not for me.. I understand now." You don't care about me, never in any life have you ever tried to save me. You always watched me hang and perish as one of the spectating crowd.

It's always made clear that all I need is to surround myself with people who care. Love is something rare, so when you find it in whatever form it comes in, you cherish it and hold it tightly.
I'll find you nana. Don't worry about anything. I'll protect you this time around.