Chapter nine

Cнapтer 9; Even Wнen Oυr Lυngѕ Are Eмpтy, Ιтѕ Ѕтιll Poѕѕιвle Тo Вreaтнe
~
Prince Laurent sneered in the girls face when she handed him his cup. She shakily spilled some while pouring out of the teapot. In response, he abruptly twisted his fingers around her wrist.
"Imbecile! Aren't you a noble lady? Are you not sure how to serve me?"

"I-I'm s-s-so-sorry..!" The girl didn't mean to spill the warm beverage. Her beautifully sullen eyes blurred with tears. She looked away from her fiancé and stared at the spot where she spilled. And as the once pure table cloth slowly sported a stain.

Her fingers shivered with the need to touch the stain. The table cloth wearing the tea like a hood. It's identity gone before even having left. Shes drawn at the nameless grace of the similarity it exudes for her.

"Can't you do anything right?" His words nipped scarily at her ears. "Fix this mess..."

The broken girl hurriedly ran to fetch a servant to clear the table.

•••
My humming is lighthearted, something it rarely is. And nana noticed this change.

"You seem happier this morning. Why the change? You hate mornings. Did you get up to any more michevious antics of yours?"
I look at nana's face through the vanity mirror when she pauses.

My body hurriedly goes into a cold sweat. Scary nana.. "your glare is scary, nana. I didn't do anything to anybody last night. So you don't have to worry yourself."

She resumes brushing through my brightly colored locks.
"Okay, that's good... oh I do wish you wouldn't worry me all the time child. I'm not young enough to deal with your antics."

"I thought you weren't old yet?" I tease. Hehe, it's so fun.

"You! I'm not that old yet! I've already told you!"

"Ow!" I yelp as she smacks the back of my head with the brush slightly. "So mean." I pout.

"Remember, when you meet with the prince today, you have to take care of yourself first." Nana prattles on and on. "You should teach that boy about manners towards a lady of your standing. Even if he is a prince, how could he treat you his fiancé, as a slave all of the time?!" I pay no attention to nana's concerns. I've already ironed out my resolve. And reinforced the edges and seems with copper threads.

I turn my body sideways just enough to reach for nana's worm and wrinkled hands. I stare at them in mine lost in my thoughts a second. So many years I've had you by my side.

I reach up to nana's cheek with my left hand and hold her face lovingly. "It's okay, I'll live for myself from now on. You don't need to worry to an extent such as this any longer."

She stares at be bewildered for a moment. She doesn't believe me, I know because she holds my hand just a little tighter. Yes nana, I don't need such a thing as romantic love anymore. "I only need love for myself and for my family, to finally reach my happily ever after."

"My little Asterin.." she murmurs.
I feel the vibrations on my palm and my eyes gently twinkle at her.

"I will have the end you've always wanted for me." I go from my seat in position so fast, it startles her.  "Now! It's almost time to meet with Prince Laurent. I'd better depart rather soon, right?" I conclude. "Will you help me dress beautifully today?"

"Of course I will, Lady Asterin." Nana laughs at my childish disposition.