Chapter ten

Cнapтer 10; Мy Нearт Нυrтѕ Now And Тнen Ғor Oтнerѕ
~
The broken girl sat across to prince Laurent, staring at him with wide eyes. She watched his subtle movements and she always smiled at each of them.

She stared with stars as his large hands gripped the small cup. The way his dark hair swooped down into his face as he leaned down slightly to drink. And the way his eyelids fluttered as he tasted the beverage.

She recalled he hates teas so he always makes them drink coffee together. Without any sugar, because he said it's not good for ones body to ingest too much sugar. He was always looking out for her better interests. Is what she believed.

When he found her staring he snapped, "refill my cup and then go somewhere else."

"Yes.. Laurent."
She followed the command and left to go feel the daisies petals at the other end of the greenhouse. She wanted to give the daisies a hug though knew they were too fragile to do so. Despite this knowledge, she couldn't help it as a few tears fell.

•••
I cross my ankles slightly and bow in the most lady like way possible after directly stepping down, with the coachmen's escort of course. Prince Laurent interrupts me before I am even to say a syllable.
"How wonderful that you are here.. Lady Asterin."

His blank eyes watch my movements. I find myself wanting to escape into the ground. Despite my resolutions. His emotionless disposition will forever haunt my heart.

I close my mouth when my need to sigh arises. I remind myself now is not the time to start this fight.

"Yes, thank you for having me. How do you do, this fine morning?"

"Good, how about you?"

"I'm fine."

Pleasantries are kept short for the sake of getting to our main objective. Tea time together or is it coffee time together? No matter, how wonderful this date will be. Us together as.. equals, isn't it?

A maid leads us to the greenhouse where a table is placed near the flourishing plant life. How I loved this place in the past. I would spend any free time given to me and spend every second here, if I could. Most often, I'd have small meetings with Kai. Right next to the morning glory's. I prefer daisies.

I take a seat and wait for the servant to bring the hot coffee.

I see five other people trailing behind the servant. I grow suspicious. This hasn't happened before.

I don't bother taking even a small sip of the bitter liquid. He always asks for no sugar to be served. Before I had assumed it was because of the reasons he said.. but now I believe it was to be a punishment of sorts. A child taking their anger out on others because of the worlds unfair gestures.

I can't even begin to contain my thoughts as the question bursts from my mind. "What are you scheming?"

His face morphs into an expression of wonder. It causes me to want to cackle. As well as a headache to come on. I'm experiencing some very conflicting things right now. I feel too exhausted to deal with anything today, to the point I want to drop my nice act. But I also feel amused in a way, that they would try something the day after his birthday. Right after everyone watched me stab a fork through a princes hand.

I speak through gritted teeth, without revealing my ambitions. "Prince Laurent," he frowns at my use of formalities, possibly since I usually just call him Laurent when we're alone like this, "I'm tired today, and I feel a bit of a fever coming on. Why don't we skip straight into the bad mouthing and assault."

His frown deepens even further, which I didn't realize was possible.

His eyebrow twitches and he says, "I don't know why your speaking all of this nonsensical things today, my fiancée."

This time I frown.

"I told you I'm tired, have I not? If you aren't willing to skip the small talk I'll leave now to save myself the migraine I feel coming on."

He becomes frantic and he stands, almost toppling his chair over. "Asterin, you have my word there are to be no games today, no servant work for you and no lady Davina."

I know I look like a shocked fox as of now. My eyes are wide open and my abdomen swells with butterflies. Thoughts also cause a whirlwind around in my head. What is going on? Why is he being like this? What is his objective? What is he to gain? So he knew he was treating me like a slave.

I seat myself slowly, cautiously. Observing him with stern and vicious eyes.
I figure I need to take this chance while everyone involved is away.

"I don't know what is wrong with you today. You must of caught kai's sickness," at the mention of his brothers name he flinches, " but I would like to bring up something of utmost urgency."

"What is it? Do you need to be supplied with something you lack?"

I smirk.

"Yes, it is something I seriously lack." I hold my hands to my cheeks.

"What is it? As your fiancé I should be willing to provide you anything you may lack."

His smug form gives me an even greater explosion of warmth and I want to jump with glee. But I continue, restraining my urges.

"I lack this very much... I would ask that you talk to the king as soon as possible and ask to break our engagement."

"Yes of cou- i'm sorry what did you just ask for?" He stands abruptly again.

"Isn't it wonderful for you and your lady? Lady Davina was it? Yes, now you can be wedded together! Oh I should also mention I will need a small alimony to be given to me. For all the years I served as your slave- fiancée." I can't depend on Duke Clive's money forever. I need to get out as soon as possible and go somewhere very far away.

The monent I say my last word is when Davina comes bursting into our small get together and lands in prince Laurent's lap sobbing all the while exposing how sad she is that he would have a date with me. A date with a person who he is to be married to. How wonderful indeed.

Now, I find the reason for the extra servants. They helped her invade the greenhouse. I figure this as Davina side eyes me, still in Prince Laurent's embrace.

"It's good to see you again Ash! I mean I thought after your murder attempt you'd be- ahh! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to mention it. How have you been?"

I want to rip her blonde hair from her head.