Chapter seventeen

Cнapтer 17; A Cancer Alwayѕ Orιgιnaтeѕ Ғroм One Ѕoυrce
~
The girl laid on the hard ground. She attempted to rid her taste buds of the leaves and dirt that entered her mouth earlier in the scuffle.

The blonde woman leaned down to the torn apart girl and she leered at her.
"Little rat, always trying to take what's already been mine from the start."

The girl looked up at Davina and grimaced, only to look back at the ground. Her hands in front of her as she stay on her stomach. But she never responded.

Davina continued to speak, "I'm so sorry little rat, you tried to enter my territory so isn't it obvious that I had to catch and drown you."

The minuscule and now so insignificant girl never got up. She stayed in the damp, dark room alone.. alone.. for a long time. Until it was time for it all to end.

The small, pitiful torn apart girls laugh rang true of a wish.

•••
I went home on this night, Prince Laurent unhappy with his fathers decision. Davinas parents unhappy with the decision. And my father unhappy with me. And I on house arrest, the longevity to be determined. As well as my complex back and forth thinking driving forth a headache I don't think I'll ever recover from.

But I don't hold a lingering sliver of resentment or sadness. For this reality is exactly what I've striven for, not a care in the world for any of it.

Duke Clive not even bothering to scream obscenities for my ears, he leaves me behind to go hide himself away in his study. A prideful grab at what's left of his magnanimous reputation.

When I reach my room I tell butler Arden to not let anyone in and to fetch for Anna. A newly hired cleaning maid. Not really of any significance to the household but of much importance to my next step.

Anna enters the room with a knock and a bowed head.
"Yes miss? You called for me? How can I serve you?"

"Come, close the door behind you."

The maid closes the large door and timidly walks my way. She stands, head down to the floor and clasps her hands together in the front of her.

"I need you to do something for me. It requires carefully crafted movements."

"Yes miss?" She lifts her head and I search her face for any indications of recoiling away.

"I need you to infiltrate Count Snows manor and watch over Davina Snow- the Counts daughter."

Wide eyed and glistening, her round auburn eyes stare back at me. "May I ask why.. miss Asterin?"

I smile innocently trying to decrease the threatened animal look, "because I need to be sure she's broken." Broken like they broke me.

I continue, "I also require of you to report back of any suspicious behavior." I need to be sure she's not scheming anything to retaliate against me for the attempted murder.

This girl is simply my tool. Something of which I can barely feel nothing of even a smidge of remorse for.

Her eyes flinch closed and my smile widens ever further.

"Umm.. miss," she sighs lightly, "I'll do what you ask."

"How gracious! I'll be sure to pay you handsomely for your work, so don't you worry." By taking the coin from my savings of course. I refuse to ask anything of anyone.

It always end in tragedy, betrayal. People are forever full of want and greed. Sinners filled to the brim of craving and care for only themselves. An insufferable need. Something I have welcomed to myself more than once, the same as I will do in this life.

"Yes.... miss, thank you for your.. kindness."

I dismiss the girls hesitancy quickly. She'll do as I ask, as long as she values her life. I'm only confirming my expectations anyway. I just need to be sure she won't come near me again. Her face causes painful memories to surface most times.

And I need to get away. Though I can't decide rather I want to make her suffer or be rid of her all together.