Chapter fourty

Cнapтer 40; Alwayѕ Ready Тo Вe Тнeιr Doll
~
"Do you have any last grievances?"

The girl stared out into the crowd gathered to watch her meeting with deaths embrace. She didn't cry and she didn't utter a word. She simply closed her eyes accepting it all.

Unclenching her fists she hoped for it to be quick.

Her body dropped with a force that shocked her system. Her mouth dropped open immediately. The suffocating feeling that crawled up her throat made images of all that led to this point flash through her mind at a rapid pace. Her hands grasped at the rope in vain. She didn't succeed as her nails cracked under its pressure. Blood dripped from the corners of her mouth.

The crowd cheered at the slow death of the evil woman who caused the death of the beloved youngest Prince Kaius. An evil woman who was supposedly said to love him like a brother. Though in reality, behind the scenes, the people didn't really care for the youngest Prince. it was fact that they hated him just as much as the king. For the heavy taxes, the poverty they were given, and the suffering of the people.
The people only cheered to follow with the herd. And isn't that the saddest part of it all? The injustice towards the doll was only carried out because a few people conspired against her and made the people scared that if they didn't cheer they would be next.

She stared into Prince Laurent's eyes. His eyes dark but filled with nothing. He was empty.

On her last breath she mouthed her final word—Please. She would have never killed her only true friend.

•••

"How?" How does she want to use me?

She wets her lips and curls them up into a large grin of mischievous delight. "We're going to let this kingdom burn to the ground. We're going to destroy it from the root up."

I have no idea what she means but I shudder at the tone of it.
"What... do... what do you mean?" I am hesitant for good reason. This woman has never been kind and I know in my gut that she is a hateful person.

This time she looks at me as if I am dumb.
"I have a plan to kill all the noble officials. Then, we will kill the Crown Prince soon to be crowned king at his coronation."

I suck in air and find myself wanting to scream at her that it can't be done. She's crazy. How does she ever plan to do that when we're only two people. I'm just so tired of this repeating nightmare. I put the palm of my hand to my forehead and lean on it.

And what about prince Kaius? My little friend. He can't get hurt over this. I need to stop this insane woman. I made a mistake. I should have just stayed in my cell and died without consequence. At least I would have been used to it instead of not wanting to after being given hope.

I miss the days when I wasn't an existence for everyone to use. I miss the days when someone still cared for me. I miss the days when I could do anything I wanted. I miss.. nana.

I sit straight up and look into her eyes filled with a type of crazy that is hard to explain.
"You're insane."

A bang resounds in the echo of the brightly lit drawing room. A sharp pain forced me to look to the side of me. I trace the embroidery of the curtains with my eyes. Refusing to look at my grandmother. It always the same. I'm so damn tired.

I stand on my feet so fast the chair I was sitting on falls back and to the ground.
"I am Asterin Clive! That makes me your granddaughter. And that means we're family and so I've endured, but if you slap me one more time I will not hold myself back. Just think what I did to people I didn't hate. But you.. I hate you." I sneer and my golden orbs glitter with a fire that can't be put out. Not ever. I want to hit myself for think that I could forgive her for even a second.

"Just imagine what I could do to you."