Chapter 18

Tomura takes a seat in the chair and in front of him. Toshinori gives a thumbs up to the people outside the interrogation room. The cameras start rolling.

  It took a long time, but Shouta had finally convinced the officers as well as All Might to let him be present during the "storytelling." The only rule was he wasn't allowed to speak, as if he would try to or even have to waver what Shigaraki was saying. The fact that they thought Tomura may lie to get out of this predicament in disgusted him.

In exchange, Toshinori was allowed to have Detective Naomasa Tsukauchi by his side, both of whom weren't allowed to interrupt.

"Go ahead whenever you're ready," Tsukauchi instructs shortly.

"Just like the good old days, huh detective?" Shigaraki muses.

Shouta nudges his shoulder and Tomura looks up at him and chuckles.

"Just like the good old days." Naomasa nods.

"Well then, glad to hear it." Tomura grins. He leans back leisurely and his still cuffed hands rest on his stomach. He wasn't chained to the chair, again, thanks to Aizawa.

"It all started when I was born," Shigaraki says dramatically, barely being able to suppress his laugh.

"Shiggy-" Shouta looks at the two men in front of him apologetically and notices Naomasa was holding back a smile.

"You're the one that wanted me to do this, Shouta, not me," Shigaraki groans.

Aizawa leans into the chair and mumbles something into his ear. Tomura gazes at him for a moment then sighs.

"Alright, fine," Shigaraki huffs. He straightens up in the chair and places his connected hands on the table. And he tells his story.

"Nana Shimura was my grandmother. She abandoned my father to be a hero, and he used that pent up rage against me, because I wanted to be a hero. I found a picture of her once...

One day, my Quirk manifested. I accidentally killed my family. Except for my father, I killed him on purpose..." he trails off with a sigh.

"I'm sorry," is all Toshinori says.

  Shigaraki scoffs, "You're only sorry I'm not dead yet." He rolls his eyes and continues.

  Aizawa listens quietly but stays close with his arms crossed across his chest. He stares at his shoes with the occasional glance at the hero and detective. He avoids looking at Tomura, not wanting to hinder anything.

  Still, from the side he can see his long, delicate lashes reaching up his eyelids. The soft curve of his nose and the way his lips moved when he talked. He held himself up in such menacing demeanor, but all Aizawa had to do was look at him just for a moment.

"I wandered the streets. Nobody helped me." He changes his voice to a high-pitched, mocking one, "'A hero will come,' 'A hero will save the day,' is all they said. No one came."

As he continues, he stops many times. Whether it's to breathe or his voice clogs up, his untreated injuries were clearly still fresh. His voice is slightly more hoarse than usual.

  Shigaraki remembers telling this story to only one other person before. In Shouta's bed, in his arms, a much different environment than he was in now. Then, he felt like he could be open. Now, he just felt vulnerable. But the world had to find out one way or another.

  It was as if Shouta sensed his feelings because he stepped forward and rested a tender hand on his shoulder. It wasn't a particularly hard topic for him to talk about, it just felt so utterly helpless. It was over 15 years ago. He killed people. What could he do about it now?