Forty-Two:- In Which Everything Goes Downhill

"Wait . . . Y-You're not supposed to be born?! Mafia? Military? This doesn't make sense . . ."

Nathan thought he just jumped into some Pandora box. The reveal of Jadrianne's past was too sudden and unreal. Jadrianne may have some sort of crude humour that is already a mystery to him, but this . . . isn't right enough to be a joke itself.

The brunet pressed his fingers against this temple as he puts a hand out to her. "Hang on. Y-You're saying that . . . you're from a fricking powerful family?!" He exclaimed in disbelief, "And you have half of half?!"

Jadrianne lazily nodded her head. "If you mean, that I'm half Greek and half Italian then, yes."

That's not the first fact you're supposed to confirm about, idiot! Nathan shook his head at her answer but didn't comment on it.

The dark-haired girl watched as the male shifted in his seat as he tried to comprehend the information he's possessing. Jadrianne grinned as she jutted her thumb to gesture behind her. "Need a bathroom break?"

Fists out, Nathan sneered, "Don't make me drown you in the tub then." He took in a deep breath then composed himself. "Whatever . . . Y-You can continue . . .".

Jadrianne lightly smiled when she caught the light redness on the tips of his ears.

"Hmm, where was I?" She snapped her fingers. "Ah! Right. Well, both sides of the family didn't really find any delight in the news, of course," she pointed out. "My . . . grandfather—my ba-ba's dad—was livid, I heard. Who wouldn't be when their only son went against the arranged marriage he had with another woman."

Jadrianne recalled the shouts of her father in defence towards her grandfather. "My grandfather is well-respected in the military as those below him see him as someone who would never taint the country and not even his own family, but . . . even though I barely understood Greek then, I knew the deed my father did really impelled my grandfather to the core."

As the male patiently listened, Nathan kept watching her facial features as she told the story. Much to his dismay, she was speaking without a sign of a strong emotion that would match the heavy topic.

"To ensure the tainted part of the family is not spread any further, my grandfather made a deal with my father to let me live with my father until the end of my middle school. Then, high school, I had to be sent back to my mother."

The memory was bittersweet, but it was more on the bitter part as she remembered.

Nathan bit his lip as his eyes concentrated on her. "So . . . where does that cocaine-haired bastard fit in all this then?"

The question threw her off as she tilted her head in confusion. "What? Who? I'm confused," she told. Nathan rolled his eyes and answered through gritted teeth, radiating annoyance as he spoke, "Zan."

He sure is creative with names. Jadrianne grinned at the realisation.

". . . Jealous much?"

Nathan shot up to his feet with flushed ears. "WHO THE HELL WOULD BE?! D-DON'T GET AHEAD OF YOURSELF!"

A chuckle sounded from Jadrianne at his normal reaction before pulling on his wrist gently to make him sit back down. "Calm down, will ya?"

The brunet grumbled but sat down anyway with a slight pout to which Jadrianne had always found him sulking so endearing—the blushing, especially. It was sending tingles within her knowing only she can make him react like and it's only for her eyes to see.