Forty-Five:- Family Ties

"Nate, you're not working today?" Jacob asked his son, holding up a plate of spaghetti he cooked for lunch. Nathan remained silent when he responded with a shake of his head to decline. The sudden glumness of his son worried the Howland parent. It was strange, considering the fact Nathan looked determined in the morning when he went out.

"If big bro's not gonna eat his 'ghetti, can I have it, dad?" Logan asked after scoffing one big forkful of his food.

The father of the two flicked the younger's forehead. "You can get it yourself from the remaining that we have," Jacob told, chuckling. He turned to his eldest son with his worry lines showing on his forehead.

Nathan understood that his sudden gloomy behaviour was worrying his father, but he just didn't have it in him to force out a decent smile. All his thoughts were occupied with what happened in the morning.

The memory played like flashes in his mind. The shock from seeing Jadrianne at the restaurant. Nathan got up from his seat, relieved yet anxious to see his girlfriend. However, when he remembered what he told Kendal, to which he realised was also heard by Jadrianne herself just squeezed his heart, not in a good way.

Jadrianne, on the other hand, kept a neutral expression. Her emerald eyes cast didn't look at him and they were back to the unreadable mode.

"If you're with me, it's not a relationship, it's collateral damage." Was the only thing she said, piercing through his heart, but he disregarded it as he assumes it was due to what he said about them coming from different worlds.

Nathan didn't know how she took his words, but he decided to trust her, even though she may or may not trust him from that moment.

Before Jadrianne could leave with Kendal and Markos, Nathan could only speak one line as he sounded vulnerable, "I'll be waiting."

The girl made no reaction and after a few seconds, Markos was already leading the ladies out.

Despite Nathan assuming she gave him the cold shoulder, he was oblivious to the menacing glare Jadrianne directed at Kendal who then returned it with a sly leer.

Nathan lets out a short humourless chuckle under his breath. Ruffling his hair, he mumbled, "I'm so . . . not cool."

"Girl problems, huh?"

The male jolted from the sudden comment from his father who placed his rough hand on his shoulder. "You look like you're about to fall from thinking too much."

Nathan opened his mouth to justify but the words won't come out. Realisation fell upon him. He didn't tell his own family the most crucial and important update.

Moist biscuits! He doesn't know I got a girlfriend! He panicked internally.

"Eh- Ah! Uhh, um." Dark brown eyes looked everywhere but his father and brother.

Logan watched his older brother with intrigued eyes. It was a first to see him flustered. He seriously can't lie. He snickered.

Jacob watched his nervous son endearingly. It's nice being young, huh?

The parent made his decision and told Logan to clean the dining table while he led Nathan outside at their patio. The sounds of Logan's protesting became white noise to the two older Howlands.

"So," Jacob started as he leaned against the wall. "Who's the one who caught my studious son's attention?"

Nathan took a few steps backwards. "Wh-What makes you think I-I got s-someone?" He wanted to pull his tongue off.