First Dances - Part 3

Time passes. The clock in the center of the practice room ticks away as Bambam and Lisa rush to compose a good set of lyrics. Bambam is splayed out on the floor, his legs and arms sticking out like toothpicks sticking out of a Rice Krispy treat. Lisa is also lying on the floor, invested in her work. Determination flooding through their veins, they work, writing and erasing and rewriting and erasing and re-rewriting over and over again.

Finally, after a solid three hours or so, they both finish their work. Bambam walks over to Lisa, and Lisa feels her heart rate accelerating. And suddenly, after such a long while, she recalls a memory of... him.

------

The lush greenery of Thailand furnishes the backdrop of her mind as a little girl is running in the mist. The temperature is humid. A young girl runs ahead, but ends up alone. Of course I'm alone. I always end up this way, so why wouldn't it change? Who cares... my friends certainly don't. The girl thinks to herself. She finds a secluded spot nestled right under a tree. Eager to escape the heat and her thoughts, the girl sits under it. Minutes pass. It's not that she has a bad relationship with her peers and her friends... it's more that she had nothing with them at all. They only spoke to her during dance or school, treating her as if a celebrity. And that left her alone, stuck roaming the streets on weekends or studying in school or in a space practicing dance again. What's the point of this freedom if I have to spend it alone? The girl sighs. A stray tear escapes her eye and soon enough, the girl is squinting from the glare of the sun and the saltwater trying to stream down her cheeks. Is it too much to ask for a friend? Her face falls into her hands as she sinks back against the tree. Just as she's about to let out another cry, a voice interrupts her.

"Are you alright?" A little boy from her dance class walks up to her. It's him. The one who always saw through the toughness and recognized she was human too, no matter how good at dancing she was.

Standing over her, the boy smiles and asks, "Do you want some company? I have snacks and no one to chat with, so if you want, you can hang with me."

Bambam.

The girl meets his eyes and moves over, patting the space next to her.

"Sure."

"Great!" He hands a popsicle to the girl and slides into the spot next to her.

And then he goes off on a tangent, as he usually does. Everyone, including her, is typically annoyed whenever he breaks into one, but today is different. Rather than annoyance, the girl feels... light, full of joy- a feeling she hasn't truly felt in a while.

She talks with him and laughs. It feels nice.

The sky melts into different hues as the two engage in conversation until it reaches a golden, pinkish mix of colors. Upon that, they say bye to each other and depart, feeling fulfilled.

------

Just as Lisa is about to think about another memory, Bambam- not the kind one, but rather the stubborn one she's been stuck with- calls out her name.

"Lisa? You good?"

Lisa shakes her head and looks to him. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"Shall we show our lyrics?"

"Yeah, yeah." Lisa nods. "I'll go first."

Lisa starts performing her version of the song.

Bambam stares at the ground, trying to avoid eye contact due to personal standards, but after a mere five seconds, he finds himself looking up at her as she goes through her lyrics, adding impromptu choreography as she goes. The lyrics are impeccable, and though she's barely moving, the choreo matches the vibe perfectly. It's flawless, and that's quite unsettling to Bambam.