Chapter 10

The sounds of muttering voices from far away woke me up.

"Oww!" I exclaimed.

A sharp pain to my head hit me. I touched my forehead in order to try to suppress the pain but I felt a cotton like material instead. It's most likely a bandage. It was wrapped round my head.

For a brief moment, I forgot who I was and where I was.

A woman had been following me.

I attacked her.

She hit me and I fell.

Mr. Ade rushed to my side and I guess I blacked out?

It took me a while to realize that I was in my bedroom. He probably brought me home after the incident.

The rays of sunlight that came through my window confused me. School closes by 4pm. It takes me almost an hour to get home which is around the evening time.

I looked around for my phone. I found it on my bedside table and used it to check the time.

3:01pm.

12 missed calls from Justin.

2 missed video calls from Justin.

2005 WhatsApp messages from ten chats.

3 text messages: Justin.

You haven't been online. Are you okay? Also, you weren't in school today.

Where are you? Are you okay?

Ada, I swear I'll kill you if this is a joke or something. I'm worried. Call me! Please

The situation all made sense now. I was unconscious since yesterday. That explains it. The former muffled voices gradually got louder. My mother's voice was loud. I have to see what's going on down there.

I slowly got up from the bed and made my way out of the room. My head kept pounding and my eyes felt a bit woozy.

I traced the sound to the weapon room. I stood outside in order to know what was going on.

"She's just a child" I heard my mother say.

"She's been given this assignment for a reason" a voice said.

I was unable to decipher whose voice it was.

"The sooner she starts training, the better" another voice added.

I heard a loud bang. I flinched at the sound.

"Are you nuts?" my mother screamed "She's unconscious and you're thinking about training!! She could have been killed!"

"Watch your tone"

"I do not care. My daughter needs time to recover"

"Time is something we don't have right now. Charles will launch this project in less than two months. We don't have enough time"

"Can you hear yourself? Do you know how selfish you sound? You'd rather risk her health for training??"

"We have no choice"

"I do. I withdraw my daughter from this mission. I don't care what happens. Get out of my house"

My mom gets violent when she's very upset. I'm talking about physical violence here. I have to interfere before something goes wrong.

I opened the door. My mom had her fist mid-air but she stopped when she saw me. Mr. George and Mr. Thompson were present – two members of The Council. They looked surprised to see me. Well, this is awkward.