Chapter 4

The loud sound of the alarm blaring through all corners of the house made me jump out of bed. The alarm indicated that it was time for a meeting with The Conversion. I checked the time. It was 6:00am.

I stretched and yawned as the sleep slowly cleared from my eyes. I quickly got dressed in a black top, black shorts and white sneakers, just in case we have training today.

There's a high probability that I may not go to school today. I packed all the things I would need in my backpack before leaving the room.

My mom came out of her room the same time I came out of mine. She had two coffee cups in her hand and was already dressed in her corporate clothes for work. She obviously woke up before me.

"Good morning ma" I greeted.

"Good morning darling, you ready?"

"Yes mom"

She handed me a coffee cup.

"Thank you"

"Let's go"

I took fast gulps of my coffee as we made our way down the stairs. The heat of the coffee aided in driving away the sleep in my eyes.

In my house, there's a secret room just by the corner at the end of the long corridor that we always kept locked. If you didn't look hard enough, you wouldn't even know it was there. In this room, we keep weapons and other gadgets.

It had pitch black walls. There was a very long metallic table in the middle with suitcases that contained all sorts of guns and other heavy machinery. There were different sizes of guns lined up on the walls along with other spy gadgets we use.

You think it's cool, yeah? That's not even the good part. Wait for it, there's more.

In this room, there's another door at the left which has a five step staircase that leads to another door. The last door has a secret code that only my mom knows but it recognized my fingerprint in case of an emergency.

My mom typed in the code and the door opened.

This room had two stripper poles with holes underneath them that were large enough to fit a person in each of them. The poles led to a long tunnel and at the end of the tunnel leads to The Conversion head office.

Where else would we have our meeting if not underground? We are a secret agency, after all. Nobody would ever suspect. For this reason, most of the agency's workers live closely together in this estate. This way, it was easier for them to construct the tunnels.

My mom and I grabbed hold of each pole and jumped into the hole. I closed my eyes as I slid all the way down. The speed of the fall can make your eyes turn if you kept them open.

After a minute or two, at the end of the hole, my mom and I landed on the floor with a heavy thud. The effect of the coffee plus the tiredness in my eyes made my head spin.

"Sorry love" my mom told me.

"Thanks"

I closed my eyes in an attempt to make the room stop spinning. After a few seconds or more, I finally regained my consciousness as well as my balance. We walked down the lonely hallway then parted ways. My mom had to get to work while I had to get to class.

The Conversion is divided into different sub sections, kind of like a normal school. Children of Operatives get recruited at age eight. We get taught spy lessons, spy rules, history of great spies and other historical espionage activities, missions, self-defence, weapon use and other subjects.

We also write exams which will determine if you can move to the next level. They also teach subjects that normal school teach (like physics, chemistry, biology etc). The only difference is we combine it with the International Spy Curriculum.