Chapter 2

"Adaeze!" my civic education teacher screamed.

I raised my head up immediately, the sleep instantly clearing from my eyes. For a moment I forgot who or where I was. Spit formed at the corners of my mouth due to my sleeping. I wiped them in embarrassment.

"Yes. Yes" I answered.

The whole class burst into a fit of laughter.

"Dozie" Ben, the class bully mocked (In Nigeria, Dozie is a name of mockery to people who doze or sleep off too much)

What he said made the class laugh even louder. I adjusted my crooked square shaped glasses.

My teacher – Miss Ann shook her head in a mixture of disgust and confusion.

"Mtcheww" she hissed with a quick shake of her head "I pity you. Nationalism is defined as..."

I drifted away once again as she taught. Oh, you think I was dreaming right? No no no. What you read in the previous chapter is very real.

Let me make a quick introduction; my name is Adaeze Elizabeth Okoli. I'm a secret agent for The Conversion but every other day, I'm a sixteen-year-old ss2 science student of "The Bright Ambassadors College" in Lekki. I know you have a lot of questions and I assure you that they will be answered later on. Just be patient.

My classmates don't know, of course. Nobody knows apart from my fellow agents in the society. I keep a low profile in school so as not to be noticed. That is the mission of every spy after all; to be invisible. I talk to few people but I don't have any friends.

Friendship means house visits, spending time together, going out, telling secrets, chatting and so on. I cannot afford all these because I have an allegiance to my society.

Secrecy and loyalty are the top priorities in The Conversion. Secrecy cannot be achieved if I have a friend that's constantly worried about my life or checking on what I'm up to. I have things to do. I have lives to save.

"Did you guys hear the news?" Miss Ann asked us "The kidnapped girls have been rescued. The kidnappers have also been arrested"

My classmates were quick to jump into the conversation. Everyone knew about the kidnapped girls but no one, not even the government or the police, knew their whereabouts. Mr Michael was smart.

The society kept searching for secret warehouses and uncompleted buildings not knowing that they'd been in his house all along. No one would have suspected. It took us a month to figure it all out.

"Yes" A girl named Alexandra said "They said he's even a big man in VGC"

"Ehen" Chidera – our class gossip spoke "He's rich na. What is he looking for again?"

"Greed will not kill us in this country o, my sister" someone from the back added.

"Who rescued them ma?" Samantha asked.

Miss Ann shrugged.

"No names" she answered "The rescuers are anonymous. No trace of them after they called the police"

"They tried o" Ben said.

I smiled. We more than 'tried'. We kicked ass.

The class went on smoothly. The teacher explained and dictated notes which we took down. Everything was going smoothly until a knock on the door interrupted our lesson.

"Come in" Miss Ann answered.

The door opened revealing the principal – Mr Ajayi and an unfamiliar boy. He was wearing normal clothes, meaning he's probably a new student.