Chapter 34

"Where is it?" I screamed.

I had all my things packed in preparation to go to Victoria's house for the weekend. The only thing remaining was the flash drive that Zoe gave me. My intention was to take it to her house so my friends and I could look at the contents together but it was gone.

I searched my drawers for it for the hundredth time, just in case I missed something. Suddenly, a wave of realization dawned on me. If it wasn't here then it means someone took it. Could my mom have taken it?

That's the only explanation for its disappearance. I have a retentive memory which enables me to always remember the things I've done or where I've kept things.

Why would she do such a thing? Anger fuelled through the whole of my body. Not only did she invade my privacy, she took the only thing that could lead me to solving my father's mystery.

"Mom" I screamed as I left the room I headed straight for the kitchen. She was in there cooking something.

"Are you ready to go?"

"You took it, didn't you?"

"Took what?"

"The flash drive. Why did you take it?"

"I didn't take anything-"

"Don't freaking lie to me!"

"Hey! Ada are you mad? Is it me you're shouting at?"

"That's not the point!"

My breathing was heavy coupled with how my body was shaking due to how angry I was. I avoid getting angry because it's hard for me to control it.

"Okay, fine. After you asked me about the time travel stuff, I knew something was up. I searched your room; I found the drive then I took it"

I breathed in and out.

"Where is it?"

"I broke it and threw it away"

She shrugged like it was no big deal. At that point, all I could see was red.

"You did what?"

"You heard me"

"You're a monster"

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me! That was the only thing that could help me find dad and you know it. Do you really hate my father that much? If you do, then why did you marry him?"

"He's dead. Where did you get the drive anyway?"

"Dad could still be alive"

"Bullshit!"

"You're hiding something! You don't want me to get to the root of this because you're scared that I might find out the truth. Dad might be alive. He may just be stuck in time"

She face palmed herself.

"Adaeze, your father is gone"

"You said it yourself, that night, we didn't see dad's body. All we heard was a gunshot. He could have survived"

She bit her lip. I knew that look too well. She's contemplating on saying something.

"What is it?" I asked her.

"Well..."

"If you have something to say, now will be the best time"

"Your dad didn't die that night"

Her words sounded like music to my ears. I chuckled lightly. I knew I was right. He could still be alive.

"Wait, how did you know this?"