Chapter 8

"Mom, I'm home" I announced as I closed the front door.

Á silent house welcomed me. I checked the time on my wrist watch; 4:17pm. That's weird, she should be home by now.

I decided to go get a snack from the kitchen then I heard voices from down the hallway.

It sounded like the voices were coming from the weapon room.

Did someone break in? Is my mom in trouble?

In order not to jeopardize my safety, I have to make silent moves. I took two knives from the kitchen cabinet and tip toed to the weapon room.

I opened the door very silently. I was prepared to strike until I saw who it was - my mom and.... Mr Davis?

Mr Davis was seated, showing my mom something on his laptop while my mom leaned down with her elbows on the table which made her cleavage exposed.

"Mr Davis?" I spoke "What are you doing here?"

I was surprised. He's never been to our house before.

"Is that your greeting?" my mom retorted, standing up straight.

I immediately came to my senses. I definitely do not want to get slapped this hot afternoon. We all know how Nigerian mothers are.

"Good afternoon mom. Good afternoon, sir"

"Good afternoon, Ada" Mr Davis answered me

"How was school?" my mom inquired.

"Fine...." I trailed off.

My eyes landed on their intertwined hands on the table. My mom quickly detached herself from him when she caught me looking at it. Mr. Davis cleared his throat.

"I just came to give your mom some details on a new case" Mr. Davis explained.

That increased my suspicions. He doesn't need to come here to give my mom details. In fact, everything official should be handled at the head office. Unless...he's here for something unofficial.

"Why here?" I asked him "You could have given her details at the office"

"Don't you have homework to do?" my mom asked.

Her eyes narrowed at me- secretly telling me to get out. All Nigerian children can relate to this. We can understand our mothers just by looking at their expressions.

"Yes, I do" I replied.

Actually, I don't.

"Then go get started"

"But..."

"Go!"

"Yes ma"

I left the room and closed the door behind me.

She's up to something. In fact, they both are. I'm definitely going to find out what it is.

*

An hour of siesta and thirty minutes of joblessness later, I decided to get some work done on my reading table in my room.

I felt more comfortable in my room than anywhere else. It's like a safe haven for me. The pink heart wall stickers reminded me of my father. He hung them up for me. The white walls soothed me.

I love my space. I love everything in this room from the fully stacked bookshelves to the celebrity posters on the wall to the pink tiles and the purple fluffy couch in the corner.

After all the hustles and bustles of life, I can come here to relax. Nobody judges me here. Here, I am free.

I thought of Justin as I flipped the pages of my physics textbook while playing with the earrings my dad got for me when I was seven. I never took them off.