Chapter 28

Do not ask me how.

Do not ask me why.

Somehow, Justin managed to drag me to the school's cafeteria.

I sat there as anxious as ever. The large hall was filled with the chattering of student, boisterous laughter and clanking of cutlery. People moved up and down in large quantities which did not do much for my anxiety.

"What's wrong love?" Justin asked me.

"There's...." I looked around "So many people"

"Come on. It's not that bad"

"I wanna go upstairs"

I need to go back to my safe zone where I can read books, eat a snack and drink berry blast in peace.

"Adaeze please"

He got my name right this time. I sighed.

"Fine"

He put a straw in his berry blast drink and outstretched it to me.

"Here, have a sip of my drink. It'll calm you down"

Who could say no to this drink? I took a sip and smiled. I sure did feel better or maybe it's because Justin gave it to me.

"About the slumber party" he started "My mom said I could go"

"Yay!" I squealed.

I haven't even asked my mom yet but Justin doesn't have to know that. I hope she agrees.

"It's this Friday, yeah?"

"Yeah"

"What's happening this Friday?" a familiar voice sounded. It was Alex.

She sat down opposite us. In a few seconds, Donald appeared beside her as well. He had his sunglasses on. He's probably still high as hell.

"It's just a party that we're going for" Justin answered.

"You go for parties?" her surprise was directed at me "You're even cooler than I thought. No wonder Justin has the hots for you"

Justin cleared his throat. Donald shook his head.

"What?" she asked "If you're not gonna man up and tell her, I might as well say something"

"So, three of you are friends now?" I changed the subject before things got awkward.

"Yeah" Donald said "Poor guy was feeling lost during the days you weren't around so we had pity on him and took him under our wing"

"It was not like that" Justin rolled his eyes.

"Yes, it was" Alex argued "Talking bout "she's the only person who gets me and she's not here blah blah"

I laughed.

After that, we spoke for a very long time. I actually vibed with them which is rare because before now, I didn't know I could vibe with anyone else other than Justin. They were good people; I could feel it and I could tell we could be good friends along the line.

The conversations were smooth like we knew each other for a long time. Technically, we did but we never spoke.

"As a Gen Z representative, I would like to be a lawyer. We need more people to defend the culture like me" Donald stated.

"Yeah right" Alex mocked him.

"Hey! I took it upon myself. If I don't defend the people, who will?"

"Preach brother!" Justin hollered.

From a distance, I could spot Maya looking at us with an evil glare.

"Imagine being a lawyer who has a crush on the judge" Alex spoke "And instead of objection my lord, you say 'objection my love'"

We laughed.

"I saw that tweet" Justin said.

"E choke!" I said.

"Omo e be like say court go close o" Donald chuckled.

"Mad tins, yunno"

Alex and Donald high fived each other. I looked at them in admiration. They looked so perfect for each other. They both matched each other's energy too.

As usual, my newly found happiness didn't last very long. As I took a sip of my drink, I felt a very painful smack at the back of my head. I choked as an effect of the pain. I broke out in a fit of coughs.

Ben came into my view. He smirked at me mockingly.

"Sorry" he said sarcastically "Didn't see you there"

In a flash, Justin appeared in front of him and held him by the collar.

"Not cool bro" Donald said "It's wrong to hit a woman"

"It's wrong to hit anyone especially without reason!" Alex threw her bottle at him "You're a fucking bully"

"Why the fuck did you do that? She didn't do nothing to you"

"Don't you ever touch her again!" Justin shouted at him.

"Or what?" Ben's smile widened.

"You wanna see what I'm capable of?"

"Give it your best shot, white boy. Show me what you got"

Justin's hold on him tightened until Ben was gasping for air. Justin's eyes turned a light shade of red or maybe it was just my imagination.

I was in shock. I never saw Justin as the violent type. He lifted Ben up by the neck until his legs were dangling in the air.

"Let him go" I pleaded.

"Choke him!" Alex shouted.

Donald managed to pull Justin away from Ben. Ben landed on the floor with a thud. Donald tried to calm Justin down.

Everyone had already formed a circle around us. Ben stood up and glared at me.

"This is all your fault" he spoke.

He lunged at me with full force. I moved out of the way just in time.

I cracked my neck, ready for action. That's it, enough is enough. It's time to show these bullies what I am really capable of.

Ben threw a punch at me but I dodged it swiftly. Everyone gasped.

I retaliated with a mid-air kick to his neck. When I landed, I delivered a Mai Tobi Geri to his face. That was more than enough to get him knocked out. I got on top of him then I reigned punches on him.

One punch- this is for all the years of bullying.

Another punch- this is for all the embarrassing moments I had to endure.

Another punch- this is for revenge.

Someone successfully pulled me off of him. It was Justin. By the time I was done, Ben's face was bleeding. I kicked my legs in the air trying to get free but he had an iron grip on me.

He took me outside and dropped me on the floor.

"Breathe" he told me.

I breathed in and out.

"Come here"

I entered his open arms and hugged him. The emotions overwhelmed me at that moment. I let my feelings get the best of me. I broke out in a sob as I held him even tighter.

What have I done? How could I lose control like that in front of everyone in school? I could get expelled or exposed even. My mom would kill me if that happens, before the agency does.

Everything happened so fast. I wasn't thinking. I was just tired of being put down and I decided that enough was enough.

"It's okay" he told me.

I held him tighter as I cried on his shoulder.