Chapter 27

On Monday, I walked into school with my head hung low and my mind in different places. The sound of the bell brought me back to reality. Luckily for me, there was no assembly today. If there was, I would have been given a detention for coming late. Or worse, I could have been told to wash the toilets.

I walked sluggishly to class. I haven't been to regular school in like forever and I can't say that I miss it. The only reason I look forward to coming here is so that I can see Justin again.

I took a seat and looked around. That is when I noticed how normal everything was.

Ben and the other group of popular boys sat in their usual position, making fun of people and throwing stuff around.

Marietta was whispering things to her friends. It's obvious she was spreading gossip or rumours.

Maya, Laura and Nnena were practicing new TikTok dances in front of a phone camera.

"Argh!" Maya exclaimed in frustration "Laura, it's shake, shake, pop then lock. After that, you raise your hands before you hit the quan" she demonstrated the dance moves in anger.

"Sorry" Laura whimpered.

"Are you trying to sabotage me? The only reason you're in this video is because my followers want to see me do the dance in my school uniform and it's not something I can do alone so get your stupid head in the game and focus!"

"Okay"

"Mess me up one more time and I swear to God, I will tag you in your most horrible throwback photo. I'll also tell all of my followers that you got an STI. Got it?"

Laura nodded.

"Also, Nnena, you're doing too much. Tone your dance moves a bit. You shouldn't be dancing better than me. I'm the star here"

She turned around and flipped her hair.

"From the top" she snapped her fingers.

She re positioned the phone and they did the dance again.

Other people in the class were busy having conversations with each other.

Do they not know what happened?

Why is everyone acting as if everything is normal?

Do they not watch the news?

Don't they know innocent people died at that protest?

I closed my eyes because the room seemed to be spinning around me. A heavy feeling of guilt sat in my chest. Immediately, flashbacks from that night came to me in a rush. The events played over and over again in my mind.

People protested peacefully but got shot in the end.

The dead bodies dropped to the floor lifelessly'.

Blood stained the Nigerian flag.

Innocent people being shot.

"Hey guys!" Alexandra spoke as she came in "Did anyone see the updates?"

Her voice made me open my eyes.

Maya screamed.

"If anyone interrupts my routine one more time-"

"What are you going to do?" Alex put her hand on her hip and stared right at Maya "Tell your followers to send me death threats? Report my Instagram page? Oh, I know what's worse, you'll do a story time about me on YouTube"

Everyone laughed.

I smiled. This is one of the main reasons I liked Alexandra. She was the only one who could stand up to Maya and she also stood up for me in the past.