Chapter 18: Shower

"What do you want for dinner?" Heloix asks, glancing up at me from behind his desk.

I shrug, not sure what to say, and sink further into my chair. I've been sitting here all day watching Heloix work, purposefully pretending like I haven't noticed his constant flickering eye color.

For the past couple of hours the urge to pee has set in and grown quite painful, but I'm fearful of leaving Heloix alone to go to the restroom. With the way today is going I wouldn't be surprised to come back to find Heloix gone, prowling the hallways as he stalks down John.

Heloix clears his throat, "I'll make something simple. Do you want anything to drink?"

"No, thank you."

The last thing I want is a repeat of the last time we drank together. My memory of that night is still hazy, but knowing that I vomited on him is enough to keep me away from alcohol for the rest of my life.

"Okay." He murmurs, sounding upset as he reaches up and rubs the back of his neck.

Helois continues to stare at me for a moment longer before bending and reaching into the side drawer to the left of his desk. I can't see what he's doing, but I hear the sound of glass clinking together, and seconds later he is popping back up with a bottle of dark liquor in one hand and a glass in the other.

He sets both objects down roughly, a bang ranging out throughout the quiet of the room as they make contact with the wooden desk. Heloix reaches and grabs onto the top of the bottle, pulling out the cork before pouring himself a large drink.

His eyes dart from his drink to me, lips falling into a frown as he abruptly throws his head back and takes an impressive swig, the dark liquid pouring quickly into his mouth. His throat is on full display as he drinks, and I watch the muscles clenching and cartilage bobbing with each swallow.

He continues until the glass is emptied, taking a deep breath as he returns the bottle to his drawer.

"You don't have to be frightened around me. I'm not going to hurt you." He speaks up, using his index finger and thumb to wipe away the wetness at the corners of his lips.

"Okay." I respond, unsure what else he expects me to say.

While I don't think that Heloix would hurt me, he's clearly not in control of his Beast, who most definitely would.

Heloix sighs before continuing. "I can smell your fear."

"I'm sorry."

"My Beast doesn't want to hurt you either." He tries to assure me.

"It doesn't seem like that." I murmur, knowing that there's no point lying when he can smell all my fear anyways.

Heloix opens his mouth to respond before pausing and running a hand through his hair, pushing back the unruly curls.

"He wanted to hurt me earlier." I add on.

"No, he wanted to hurt the man whose scent was all over you." Heloix clarifies.

"Why?" I ask, not understand why it's such a big deal.

I'm sure that all of the slaves' scents are all over one another. We are in such close proximity to one another that it's impossible to avoid it. Heloix's body visibly tenses at my question, and I can see his grip tighten on his glass.

I shouldn't have asked.

"Well," Heloix starts, shifting slightly in his seat. "To be blunt- my Beast is, uh, emotionally attracted to you. He doesn't like when that boy is around you."