Chapter 50: Fall

"Are you even listening to me?"

Jerking upright, I turn to look at John with flushed cheeks, embarrassed to have been caught not paying attention.

"I'm sorry." I apologize, turning to give him my full attention once more. "I just haven't gotten a lot of sleep lately."

I don't know what has gotten into me lately, but I've just been feeling so tired all the time. In a fit of desperation, I ended up going to bed early last night instead of waiting up for Heloix like I usually do.

It didn't help, and I still woke up exhausted this morning, barely able to drag myself out of bed.

I worry that I'm coming down with a cold or something, but Heloix has assured me that I'm perfectly fine and he would know if I was sick in any way.

John frowns as he looks over my hunched shoulders and dark bags.

"Everything okay between you and Heloix?" He asks.

I nod my head yes. I'd be lying if I said that things were completely back to normal, but we have been getting better each day and I don't spend a lot of time stressing over him. He's been making many efforts to please me, too, coming home early from work and making sure to fill me in on all the essential information.

"Maybe it would make you feel better if we went downstairs and hung out with some friends." John suggests, covering my hand with his.

I appreciate the gesture, but cringe at the thought of having to face everybody just yet. Since my outburst, the only places I've wandered to are Heloix's office and our wing, having been much too embarrassed to go anywhere else.

John sighs quietly, unhappy with my rejection.

"Well, let's at least sneak down to the gardens. We can take the back staircase so nobody will see."

"That's not a bad idea." I admit.

It would be nice to get outside for a bit, and I know that it will make Heloix happy to have me leave the place. To my face, he tells me that I'm okay to stay in here as long as I need, but the fact that he has started sending up John to spend time with me is a pretty big sign that he's trying to encourage me to interact with others that aren't him.

Hesitantly, I nod my head, agreeing to the plan.

John's eyes gleam at my reluctant yes as he jumps up out of his seat. He's heading out the door before I'm even on my feet, and I have to jog slightly to catch up to him.

"Slow down." I chuckle, slowing to a walk as I saddle up alongside him.

John pitches a right and turns down a small hallway, leading us towards the back staircase. It's much grimier than the others, and I cringe as we enter the small space.

"It smells stale in here." John comments, taking the words directly from my mouth.

Snorting, I nod my head in agreement, moving past him towards the dusty steps. He makes a gagging noise as he follows me, the dramatics forcing a loud laugh to fall from my lips.

My laughter quickly turns into a choked cough as my foot misses the first step, sliding out from underneath me. I throw my hands out in an effort to grab onto the railing, but I'm falling too fast to get a good grip. My fingertips graze against the wood as I slip downward, my back slamming into the stairs before sliding down a handful of them.

A pained cry falls from my lips as my body makes contact with the steps, and I instinctively roll to my side to get the pressure off my back. I hear John shout my name, followed by the sound of his footsteps as he runs down to me.