Chapter 29: Arrival

The sun begins to set as we continue our journey, the once chattering animals turning in for the night and burrowing away in their homes. I try my best not to focus on the long, dancing shadows that fall from the trees, turning the beautiful scenery into something sinister.

Heloix assures me that we are almost there but he has been saying that for hours now, leading me to believe that his sense of direction is untrustworthy. At one point I inquired if he was lost, but he answered my question with nothing more than a laugh.

Needing to adjust, I press my hands into the seat and push myself up to take the pressure off my lower back. An uncomfortable stiffness has settled into my bones in the past hour, making this journey almost unbearable.

We have stopped only a couple of times, once to change my dress and the others to use the restroom, but Heloix is adamant that we must hurry to stay on schedule. He loudly complains each time I ask to rest, his hands pressing against my stomach and forcing me back against his chest. I can't lie and say that it doesn't help, but I feel guilty knowing that all it does is soothe me while bringing him more discomfort.

"We are almost there." Heloix speaks out, voice loud against the quiet atmosphere.

Knowing he can't see me, I roll my eyes in response. "You've said that already."

"Yes, but now I mean it. When we arrive, keep your head down and do not speak." He orders, tone leaving no room for argument.

Heloix pulls on the reins abruptly, bringing the horse to a stop before hopping down onto the ground. Confused, I turn to watch his actions, unsure if I should follow his lead and dismount as well. He moves to the back of the animal and begins untying our bags, deft fingers expertly undoing the tiny knots.

"What're you doing?" I ask.

Heloix spares me a glance before giving a hard tug on the bags and disconnecting them from the animal.

"Come, let me help you down." He murmurs, ignoring my question as he drops the bags onto the ground. Stepping forward, he grabs me by the hips and pulling me off the horse and into his chest.

I push off of him once my feet are on the ground, alarmed and confused by what he's doing. He ignores my stare and turns his attention back on the horse, giving it a hard slap on the ass that causes it to take off running.

"Now look what you've done!" I shout, gesturing to the quickly disappearing animal.

Heloix turns to look at me as I scold him, a hardness in his eye that I'm unaccustomed to seeing directed at me.

"What did I just say? You are not to speak unless spoken to. If anybody asks, say that I shifted and ran here while you rode on my back." He snaps, voice low and threatening.

Ignoring his words, I spin around quickly and taking in the miles of woods that surround us in every direction. "Then why did we take a horse? You've gotten us stranded."

Heloix lets out a loud sigh, raising his hand and pinching my lips closed between his thumb and pointer finger. Shocked, I move to pull away but he grips on harder, keeping me in place.

"Hush."

I expect him to remove his fingers after his command, but instead he holds them in place, regarding me carefully for a moment before slowly letting go.

Stepping away from me, I watch through narrowed eyes as he bends down and picks up our bags, his muscular arms flexing under the weight. He doesn't even spare me a glance as he turns and begins walking in the opposite direction the horse ran.

I remain still for a moment, watching his large frame walk away before letting out a quiet sigh and scurrying after him, my uncoordinated feet stumbling over the rough terrain.