Chapter 53: Beast

"Heloix, stop." I laugh, pushing at his hairy body as I attempt to move him away from the mattress. "You may be happy sleeping on the floor, but I'm not."

His wolf growls quietly in response, completely ignoring my wishes as he continues to hold the bedding between his teeth in an attempt to prevent me from putting it back. While I always knew that his wolf was an animal, I didn't anticipate it acting so much like one.

I know he can understand what I'm saying and is trying to communicate with me, but it's hard to figure out what exactly he wants. With a scowl, I note that Axis could probably figure out exactly what he's trying to convey. I've always known that he and his Second are close and have a tight-knit relationship, but lately I've been finding myself incredibly jealous that he is able to read my mate better than I can.

Heloix growls as I continue to try to tug the mattress out of his mouth, his black eyes narrowing in anger at me. I'm frustrated with my inability to figure out what he's trying to do, and after another second or so of fighting, I give up and release the items from my hand.

"I don't know what you want." I admit with a frown.

Heloix whines as he pulls the mattress to the middle of the floor. He drops it once it's laid flat on the ground, his large head immediately popping up to watch me as he lifts his paws and presses them against the surface.

I tilt my head to the side as I watch. He whines again before moving over to the bed frame and placing his leg on it. The wooden boards creak and bend underneath his weight, and I grimace in worry that he's going to break it. The Beast watches me intently as he brings up another paw and rests it on the bed with the first.

"Heloix!" I snap as one of the wood boards splinters underneath him. "You're too heavy."

Moving forward, I jog around the bed and push at his chest to get him down. He does so immediately, an excited yip falling from his mouth as he trots over to the mattress and flops down on top of it. His head rests on his paws as he watches me.

My lips curl up as I finally realize what he has been trying to tell me. He wants to sleep with me but is too heavy for the bed, meaning the mattress needs to stay on the floor. Wide dark eyes watch me as I move around the room to grab pillows and blankets.

"Are you feeling better?" I question as I curl up next to him.

He ignores my question entirely as he watches me lay down on the opposite side of the bed. He grumbles as I settle, the sound low and angry, before wiggling his body closer to mine. He continues this until he is practically on top of me, his warmth seeping into my bones.

I can't help but chuckle at his antics, so happy to have my Beast back after him being unresponsive for so long. He visibly preens under my gaze, his enjoyment of my attention on him quite evident. I wonder if he and Heloix share the same mind or if this animal in front of me is an entirely different being. They seem to have pretty similar mannerisms, but his Beast is noticeably more demanding of my attention.

I make a mental note to ask him about it when he is back in his human form.

"I'm scared of what's going to happen." I admit quietly as I run my fingers through his dark fur. "Axis says that the people in the city are gearing up to revolt. I was hoping that they wouldn't actually follow through with it."

His fur is soft under my fingers, the thick strands parting easily for me as I run my hands through them. His chest grumbles quietly against me as I touch him, but he otherwise remains silent.

My eyes begin to water as I continue. "There aren't a lot of Guards here to help defend the castle." My voice is audibly shaky, and I bury my head in his chest to hide my tears. "I shouldn't have sent so many away."