Chapter 44: Furniture

"Your furniture comes in today." Heloix comments, glancing up from his paperwork.

I let out an excited shout, clapping my hands together excitedly. I've been waiting on them for almost an entire week, annoying Heloix every day for updates. He gives me a small smile, eyes glinting at my reaction, before looking back down at the papers on his desk.

Opening my mouth to speak further, I hesitate as he lets out an exasperated sigh and harshly crosses out some words printed on the sheet. He won't tell me what the cause is, but he's been stressing over work for a couple of days now, oftentimes leaving before I awake in the morning and only returning when I'm asleep in bed.

I'd never admit it to him but I'm starting to miss his presence, and in sheer desperation ended up moving all his belongings into my bedroom while he was at work one day, forcing him to sleep with me at night. He didn't comment on it, but ever since has been sneaking into my room every night and crawling into his side of the bed without complaint.

"And you promise that you like everything?" I blurt out, eyes narrowing as I analyze his reaction to my question.

Heloix groans, dropping his head to the desk. A loud bang echoes throughout the room as his skull makes contact with the hardwood, and I resist the urge to chuckle at his dramatic reaction. Rocking back slightly on my heels, I grimace and eye the door, debating whether or not I should leave. I know that I should. I know that he wants me to.

But I'm bored.

Despite my better judgment I move towards him and scurry around the desk, pushing on his shoulder so he sits up and I can fit on his lap. He allows me to do as I please, climbing him like a monkey and plopping down so my back is to the desk and we are face to face.

"Are you working late tonight?" I inquire, tilting my head to the side in question.

Heloix nods, his hands moving to my hips and pulling me closer to his body. I stare up at him as I wait for an answer but he stays quiet, adjusting his hand to rest on the back of my head and pushing my face into his neck.

My body melts under his touch, enjoying the feeling of his fingers carding slowly through my hair. It isn't until I feel his other arm begin to move that I realize that he's gotten back to work, his soothing actions serving only as a way to silence me.

Unamused, I move to pull away, but his hand once again presses against my head to me in place.

"Please, Addie. I have a nice night for us planned and if you keep bothering me we won't be able to enjoy it." He murmurs, hand sliding from the top of my head to the nape of my neck.

Sighing, I give in and slump against him. The knowledge that he has a date for us planned excites me, my stomach tingling in excitement. He still hasn't told me what the object he bought from the city is and has been oddly secretive about it, keeping the package on the top shelf in his office so I cant look inside.

I'm willing to bet that his night involves whatever is in the box, and only wish that I could sneak a peek at what's in there.

Heloix's pulse picks to against my lips as he scribbles out some notes. I wish to ask what he's working on and what's got him so riled up, but I resist, forcing myself to remain still in his lap.

We sit like this for a while, my eyes gradually dropping as I breathe in his scent, only to be jerked awake by his furious writing. His hand slowly slides from the nape of my neck down past my shoulder blades towards my waist, stopping when he reaches the exposed skin between the bottom of my shirt and the top of my pants.

His fingers lightly dance along my skin, fingers drawing small patterns on the surface. My body heats up under his touch, and despite the innocence of his actions I find myself clenching my thighs around his waist in response. Pulling my head back slightly, I open my mouth and lick the vein in his neck, enjoying the taste of his skin and the way his body stiffens below me.