Chapter 51: Weak

I try not to let my fear show as I watch Heloix, unsure if he is actually able to see me through his hazy, unfocused stare. He doesn't seem to be able to, but I continue to be cautious anyway, not wanting to stress out his body even more.

"I'm going to tell Axis what happened." I whisper, looking for any sign that he is comprehending my words.

He offers nothing, his body remaining still.

John shifts slightly from where he stands by the doorway, his feet scuffing quietly along the floor.

"Do you trust him?" He asks, referring to Axis.

It's a good question, and one I wish I could answer with confidence. I don't know him very well, and the only interactions I've had with him have been incredibly tense and a bit frightening.

"I don't, but Heloix does."

My hands shake as I reach forward and grab onto Heloix's arm, wishing he could communicate with me in some way and tell me what to do. I hadn't anticipated him completing our bond, and I desperately wish to know why he rushed it the way he did.

We were unable to adjust his body after he plopped down on the couch, and for hours he has been smooshed into the cushions, his large body barely able to fit on the small sofa. It looks uncomfortable, and I wish he wasn't so heavy so we could move him to the bed or put him in a better position.

I squeeze his fingers, hoping to feel something in return, but his hand remains limp in mine. My eyes begin to water at the sight of him, and I turn away before the tears can fall. Now is not the time.

"Let's go." I whisper, glancing up at John as I speak.

He looks at us with pity, his shoulders slumped forward as he peers between Heloix and me. It's not exactly a secret that he isn't the biggest fan of Heloix, but has seemed to warm up to him a bit in the past couple of weeks. Especially since realizing that Heloix will pretty much let him do whatever he wants as long as he's keeping me occupied.

John likes to tell me what Heloix is whipped, but I'm not so sure about that. Often it feels like it's the other way around.

I resist the urge to look back as I exit the room, knowing that if I continue to look at Heloix that I won't be able to get anything done. John follows behind me but pauses as we step out into the main hallway.

"Should I stay behind?" He questions, gesturing his head towards the front door.

I shake my head. "No."

In all honesty, I don't want to face Heloix's Second by myself. He's a scary man, and I think that having another witness present will be helpful.

John hums but doesn't push the issue. I know he isn't a big fan of Axis either, and I appreciate that he isn't making a big fuss about helping me seek him out.

"Do you know where he usually is at this time?" I ask, hoping that John learned his schedule during the brief time that he was cleaning his suite.

John nods, moving to walk ahead of me and lead the way.

"He's almost always in his office."

His pace is fast as he walks down the hallway, forcing me to follow in a light jog to keep up.

John pauses as we reach his office door, and I don't hesitate to move past him and bust inside. I'm acutely aware that it's bad manners, but my worry for Heloix has me throwing care for such formalities away.

Axis sits behind his desk in the center of the room and slowly looks up as we enter. His eyes flicker briefly to John but almost immediately settle back on me. An audible sigh falls from his lips as he sets down the cup he holds in his hand.