Chapter 39: Date

"Where are we going?" I ask, looking up at Heloix as he pulls me down the hallway.

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

I huff.

"Yes, that's why I asked." I retort, trying to pull my hand out of his.

Heloix's grip on mine tightens, refusing to let me go. Holding hands is a form of intimacy that the Beasts commonly practice, but the humans don't engage in it. I can tell that he likes it by the way he's always trying to latch onto my fingers, but it feels pretty uncomfortable to walk while jointed, especially given our height differences.

"If you don't stop fighting with me I'm going to carry you." Heloix snaps, face tilting down to glare at me.

His threat forces submission out of me, and I stop trying to pry my hand out of his, settling down as he leads me towards the exit. I glance around with wide eyes as we leave the castle and head towards the woods, mind racing with questions.

I've snuck out a couple of times to collect rocks from the garden but have never ventured further than a couple of feet from the large doors. Heloix seems confident as he leads me further away, and I have to remind myself that he is the King and can do as he pleases.

The wooded area seems to grow as we approach it, the shortened distance making the trees appear taller and wider. The terrain gets a bit rougher as we venture closer, and Heloix slows down the pace so I can take more calculated steps.

I faintly recognize this area from when Heloix and I traveled through it on the horse, but I was so preoccupied with the giant Beast sitting behind me that I didn't pay too much attention to our surroundings.

Tentatively, I step over a large log, my footsteps slow as I focus on keeping my feet flat on the ground and not tripping. I hear the sounds of a babbling creek as we continue, the noise growing louder the closer we come.

"Are you taking us to the water?" I ask, glancing up at Heloix.

My foot trips on a rock as I draw my attention from the ground to Heloix, my body pivoting forward as I stumble. The grip on my hand tightens in response, and Heloix's other arm wraps around my waist as he pulls me into his chest.

"Thanks," I mumble, embarrassed.

A quiet laugh rumbles from Heloix's chest, the noise making me flustered. It's not often that he laughs, but each time he does my pulse races in response. Heloix's arm remains wrapped tightly around me, practically supporting all my weight, as he leads us towards the water.

It's the same one we traveled near before, but instead of walking along it Heloix picks me up and walks over it, his feet sloshing through the shallow water and no doubt destroying his leather shoes. I wiggle when we reach the other side, expecting Heloix to put me down, but he keeps me firmly in his grasp.

"Put me down!" I huff, unhappy with being carried underneath his arm like a ball while my feet dangle limply beneath me.

"We are almost there." He says in response, ignoring my demand.

Gripping Heloix's arm with my own, I push down on the thick muscle in an attempt to loosen it and free myself. It doesn't have the intended effect, and after a couple more tries I give up, angrily wiping away the sweat that accumulated along my upper lip at the exertion.

Up ahead I spot a large pond that the creek feeds, excitement rushing through me at the pretty scenery. I don't often get to view nature, but I try my best to appreciate it whenever I get the opportunity.

Heloix loosens his hold as we approach, finally dropping me down a couple of feet from the mouth of the creek. Spinning around, a broad smile breaks out on my face as I take it all in. Loud birds sing to one another between the trees, the sound blending perfectly with the running water.