Chapter 25: Secrets

HELOIX

"You've stopped healing yourself." I comment, frowning at the bloody scraps of skin that hang from his body. "Such a shame."

I was hoping to get another couple of days out of him, his screams being the only thing that keeps my Beast from taking over and completing the bond with Adeline. I had to give her so much blood to heal her wounds, stopping only moments before it was completed.

It took everything in me to tear myself away knowing that she still had more injuries, but to tie us together in such a way is not an option right now. There will be no way to hide her when it happens, and I am wholly unprepared for the war it will bring to my land.

Groaning, I focus back on the task at hand.

The guard hangs in front of me, fat tears rolling down his cheeks as he begs for forgiveness. I ignore him, feeling absolutely no pity for his pain. He knew that his actions would lead him here, the knowledge that Adeline is mine being widespread throughout the castle, yet he chose to attack her anyway.

Circling his body, I click my tongue in annoyance as I notice one of the hooks that keep him suspended has torn out of his body, the muscle that holds it in place having come loose.

I flick the hook to the side as I continue to circle him, unhappy with the deterioration his body has succumbed to overnight. My Beast and I need something to get our anger out on while Adeline heals, the sight of her purple bruises being enough to send me into a rampage.

The guard continues to beg for mercy, for me to kill him now and end his misery, but I refuse. I want him to suffer, and I wish for his suffering to be a message to all other Beasts inside this castle.

"I sent out some guards to fetch your daughter." I lie, picking up a carving knife and pressing it against the soft skin of his neck. "I'm excited for her to experience what you've done to my human."

Under normal circumstances I would follow through with my words, making him watch and listen to her cries as all the guards take their turn with her before leaving her on the floor to die. This time I have decided to be merciful, though. Addie gets quite upset when I bring harm to the humans and women, and because of her condition I have decided to give in to her wishes just this once.

The guard lets out a pitiful cry at my words, blubbering like a small child as I begin to slice open and peel off the skin covering his sternum. It comes off easily, the skin still soft and fresh from when I removed it two days ago.

I set the knife down as the skin disconnects and falls to the floor with a wet slap, opting instead to grab my cleaver and work on his fingers.

"Put your hand on the table." I command, pointing my knife towards the small wooden table to his right. The guard's hand hangs limply by his side, and I roll my eyes slightly as I notice that he has once more fainted.

"So pathetic." I murmur, grabbing the limb for myself and slapping it on the tabletop. I'll have to wait for him to wake before continuing, but I might as well get him in position in the meantime.

With his hand placed securely on the table, I grab a couple of stakes and drive them through his palm into the wood below. This will prevent him from removing it once he wakes, and will ensure that if I am not present that he knows what his future holds when I return.

Once his hand is secure, I take a step back to look him over. Anger flares up inside me as the image of him on top of Adeline flashes in my mind, the sight of her limb body beneath his rutting hips forcing my Beast to the forefront of my mind.

She doesn't know that she is constantly sending me her emotions, her pushes strong and persistent and worsening after I took more of her blood that day in her bedroom. In an attempt to block it out I put up a barrier between our minds, foolishly confident that she was safe in the castle.