Cloudy With A Chance of Breakdowns

Warning: Mentions of death

Aizawa POV

Things were uneventful after Nezu left. 

Scratch that.

Things were as uneventful as they could be with a demon child residing in his house and an evil-genius making plans to bring Midoriya to the dark side. Shouta wasn't exactly sure what the dark side meant for the 2'9 principal, but he was sure it was nothing good. 

But they'd managed to get through the rest of the day and night without any kidnappings, further memory loss, or escape attempts; that was always nice.

Still, Shouta hoped he was making the right decision here. Midoriya had been quieter after meeting Nezu. Normally Shouta would be all for having some peace in his home, but Midoriya's lack of mumbling was a little disconcerting. 

He'd been reserved in the way Shouta used to be whenever deep in thought. Like even asking for a glass of water would disturb whatever track Izuku's train of thought was drifting on. 

And now, in Shouta's second class 3-a free day, he was growing concerned. He'd woken up and immediately assumed there would be a repeat of yesterday. He was used to being the last one awake. But after walking around the entire house, Midoriya was still nowhere in sight.

Shouta panicked, grabbing his shoes and coat before dashing out the door. 

Why had he expected there to not already be a problem? Really...it was becoming obvious when it came to Midoriya nothing was easy.

If the problem child was trying to run away again he was gonna-

Shouta dug his heels into the dirt, just barely stopping in time to avoid running over the child sprawled out on the grass. He blended right in with the overgrown blades and fallen leaves.

As if just comprehending he'd been two seconds away from being smushed, emerald eyes blinked up innocently at him. "Shouta? What are you doing outside?"

He wanted to be upset that the kid had made him so worried over nothing, he really did, but the way Midoriya asked the question so genuinely threw him off. Like he was more concerned about what was troubling Shouta than any trouble he might be in.

Shouta let out a long breath before settling down next to him, making sure to keep enough distance between them he wouldn't scare him off. "I think I should be the one asking you that kid."

Midoriya's eyes drifted back to the sky. 

Shouta looked up too. Gray clouds swirled above them, blocking out most of the morning light. If was by no means what he would consider a nice day; but Midoriya seemed fascinated by it. Like a little kid watching a light show for the first time. 

"I was thinking."

The answer came unexpectedly. Quieter than the rustling branches around them. 

"Thinking?" Shouta prompted. "About what?"

"You're like the clouds," Midoriya said. He pointed a hand up to the sky above him. "Even if you seem gloomy. You help protect me from the sun."

Protect him from the sun? What an odd thing for a kid to say. Shouta didn't know what to make of the statement. 

Midoriya had gone from sass to philosophy in a matter of hours. 

"What are you talking about?" Shouta asked. He watched Midoriya shift in the grass, his gaze drifting from cloud to cloud.

"You act like my dad. You cook for me, explain things to me, all the things a dad is supposed to do right? It's weird," Midoriya commented. He didn't sound upset about it, more curious than anything.