Ah! I Almost Dropped my Croissant!

Izuku POV

"So how are you?" Uraraka asked, not looking at him as she walked from the house. Her chestnut hair swished across her shoulders in her hurried movement. 

Izuku's lips turned down in a frown. Had she not seen Eri and her family leaving the house? From what he'd heard she had been on the rescue mission with them. Apparently, she hadn't been as close with Eri after the mission concluded but that didn't mean she didn't still care for Eri.  Was she upset they hadn't invited her? Was he reading too deeply into this?

He'd sensed something off with her from the moment he'd opened the door and she'd asked if she could talk to him about something. She hadn't even wanted to say hi to Shouta and Uraraka was the most friendly person he knew.  

Izuku hesitated. "I'm...alright. How are you?" 

"Good."

They were at the end of the drive now, hidden from the sight of the house by the tree Izuku had crashed into when he'd first used one-for-all. The quirk was in much better control now but Shouta still gave him shit every time they passed by the tree- in the most loving way possible. 

Izuku didn't know what possessed him to say what he did next. Maybe it was the newfound maturity he felt after meeting someone from his past. Maybe it was the confidence of having Eraserhead as his father. Maybe it was the realization that no matter what he did he'd always have more of a clue than Todoroki. But for whatever reason, the next words that left his mouth were, "No you're not."

His friend's shoulders stiffened for a moment before she turned to him. "What do you mean?" Her eyes were wide-curious- but still off. 

"What's going on with you? You're acting weird."

"Oh," she laughed, her voice rising an octave. "Sorry I didn't realize I was. I just wanted to talk to you."

"Is this about Todoroki?" Izuku asked, recalling their last private conversation. He didn't think it had been that big of a deal or at the very least would pretend it wasn't that big of a deal. He didn't even know why he was pretending but the more he learned the more he didn't know. 

Her big brown eyes blinked and the innocence of her expression began to fade. "You don't like him, do you?" She asked. He'd never heard her sound like that before. "I'm much cuter."

She couldn't be serious right now. Was she actually jealous of a nonexistent relationship? Izuku's eyes narrowed. He watched her movements carefully, the way her shoulders rose and fell, the twitch of her lips. He'd been around her long enough to know it wasn't normal. It was like she wasn't completely comfortable in her own body.

His stomach dropped immediately as a second realization fell over him. It took everything in him to not let his expression shift. 

She turned her back to him when it became clear he wasn't going to answer her question. "You're right Izuku. I'm not doing well."

Izuku tensed, switching his stance. 

He didn't know much of anything about the League of Villains until he became a hero student he didn't have access to any regulated information. But he'd been snooping one night after Shouta's ridiculously early bedtime and had found information on a member of a villain organization that could shapeshift or take the appearance of someone. There had been some kind of stipulation to this power- a sort of checks and balances type deal. But he couldn't remember what that stipulation was and it was a bit hard to search his memory while standing behind a potential villain. 

This was ridiculous. What idiot had come up with the plan to hide any and all useful information from him? 

"What do you want?" Izuku asked, voice somehow steady despite the building panic.