old eyes

Picking out hero names with his mom. All of them were as dumb as they were catchy. Her laughing and spinning him. 

Middle school being seen as a game of keepaway. Watching others silently and predicting how they would judge him as he judged them in turn. Notebooks full of fantasies he didn't know could be realties until much later. 

All Might.

Eraserhead.

Almost being suspended. So many times.

His first real fight with Todoroki. The first time they made up. 

Iida chasing him out of the gym with a broom when he was supposed to be on bed rest.

Sitting at his parents' graves.

Uraraka being the first one to ever tell him he was more than a quirk and later on when he finally began to believe her. Him protecting her always during training. Her kicking ass all by herself and proving she didn't need him. 

Practically force-feeding Todoroki soup that one time he got really sick. 

Pacing alone in his room because he was scared he was falling for him.

Running out to save Eraserhead. Getting hit with the quirk.

---

Izuku didn't know how long he stayed there. Enough time to make it weird. He couldn't seem to drag his eyes away from his own reflection- it was such a surreal experience to re-see yourself with old/new eyes. He touched his face, traced over his nose and lips. 

Relief.

That was the first feeling. He was so relieved to finally feel at home again. 

Horror was next. He'd insulted Shouta. So many times. And his principal. And kissed his best friend. He didn't realize it was him laughing at first. He laughed, ghosting a hand over his mouth in a feeble attempt to mask the sound. 

Holy shit.

---

Izuku opened the door and just ran. He didn't notice the slowing trickles of rain showering over him or the way he almost slipped on three different occasions. Honestly, he didn't even know if he was wearing shoes. Nothing was really registering. Nothing other than everything that is. A million different thoughts crossed over his mind as he ran. A million different things he needed to say.

He didn't even realize he hadn't breathed until he stopped. His chest rose and fell rapidly as he leaned again the cabin door, letting the damp wood cool his skin. Izuku sucked in one hurried gulp of air before beginning to knock frantically. He didn't know how late it was, the moon was still hidden behind storm clouds, but he was willing to bet everyone besides him had already gone to bed. 

By the tenth sharp knock, the door flung open, revealing a very frazzled Todoroki. His hair was all pushed together and tangled. His skin was pale from sleep. He didn't even seem to notice Izuku standing there the first few blinks. He just kinda looked down for a few seconds before finally saying, "What?"

Izuku's heart flipped. He remembered him in a different way now but it was still Todoroki. His Todoroki. As clueless as always. He didn't think before flinging himself forward, wrapping his arms around his neck so that he could yank him down more effectively. Izuku kissed him. He tasted like toothpaste. He took his time, something they had a lot more of now, he realized. Before it had all been so frantic- a chaotic confession in a field of all places. But here now, in the rain, on the steps of a gorgeous log cabin, this could be their moment. Izuku deepened the kiss greedily, stomach-lurching (in a good way) as he realized how much warmer Todoroki's lips were than his own, like a furnace.