Broken Limbs Or Broken Promises, You Decide

Aizawa POV:

You know that feeling where you're confident about something and don't need to ask for help and all that good stuff? The feeling where you're so confident in being confident that you forget your confidence may just come from a place of confidence and not actual skill?

Because Shouta sure as hell does now.

 He had been sure they wouldn't need to get a driver. How hard could driving in America be? He'd once given a driving lesson to Mina and he could have sworn that was the scariest thing he'd experience on the road; the girl had informed him after they got on the highway that she wasn't totally positive how to tell her left from her right. That and the fact that she panicked and accidentally disintegrated the emergency break was enough to give him a heart attack. 

And yet, he here was, incredibly stressed once again as he pulled out onto the main highway. Everything on the road was flipped, people driving on the right side and nobody even using their turn signal. He'd seen the guy in front of him cut across three lanes like a ripoff Indian Jones starring in Raiders of The Lost Drivers Licence. 

It might have helped if a child wasn't his main navigator. Iida had taken the passenger seat and was now holding a map that Shouta was ninety percent sure was upside down as he tried to figure out what exit to take. 

Shouta held the wheel on their very shiny and very expensive rental car in a death grip, inching the car along at five miles below the minimum speed limit and cringing as cars sped by on his left. 

"Mr.Aizawa, I can drive," Todoroki offered, making eye contact with him through the rearview mirror. 

"Absolutely not," Shouta gritted out. Todoroki had just gotten to the point where every one-on-one fight wasn't a new character development catalyst, there was no way that boy was getting anywhere near the wheel. 

"Wait. You guys get to drive?" Izuku asked, perking up from where he'd been distracted talking to Uraraka. "Why don't I get to drive?"

Shouta didn't bother answering that.

He got a few blissful moments of peace before Izuku asked, "Seriously. Why can't I? If Todoroki gets to drive I should too." His voice was rather indignant.

Beginning to get a headache, Shouta had to remind himself Izuku had yet to see the full chaotic danger that followed him around. Possibly, the worst thing that had happened recently was when Izuku had asked Kaminari to show him how his quirk worked. Still, it was better to not give the boy hope. "No," he sighed. 

"Please?"

"No."

Izuku huffed loudly enough for Shouta to hear and slouched back in his seat. Quiet whispers could be heard from Todoroki about how he'd let Izuku drive his car if he wanted- very brave of him considering Shouta would personally disassemble the car piece by piece before he let that disaster happen. Self-reminder: do not leave those two alone together. 

As they continued to drive the car grew more silent. Three exits later he glanced back to find Uraraka sounds asleep, leaning against Izuku like her own personal pillow, while Izuku did the same to Todoroki. He smiled, whispering to Iida to talk more quietly so they wouldn't wake the others up. He'd never admit to it, but seeing Izuku start to trust his friends again and let down his walls was endearing. The change had been a lot for all of them, but Shouta was very relieved to see things were slowly calming down. 

The peace was short-lived when he found out he had to merge. 

---

Getting off the highway was equivalent to sitting down after a long day or hearing blissful silence after his co-workers finally stopped talking. Instant and glorious relief.