New Eyes

Fuzzy.

Everything was fuzzy.

The world zoomed in and out like a lens trying to focus, nothing seeming entirely concrete.

He blinked furiously. Wanting nothing but to make the image come into focus. And it did, all in a rush, he was suddenly transported. It was like being on a train with earbuds in taking a nap, only to sit up and take them out to discover he was on a rocketship or something equally baffling. 

WInd raced past, blocking out all sounds other than the air around him and the air expelling from his lungs.

Something was making his chest burn. A fire that twisted and pulled until it was all he could focus on. It wasn't a physical sensation, nothing was touching him, not even the ground. Nevertheless, there was something sharp and awful and all-consuming.

He was scared.

There was no discernable threat. No villain coming for him or boom boom boy sneering. That didn't dispel the fear, it only seemed to grow. It spread to his stomach, twisting into a knot. Why was he sacred? He searched through his memories but there was nothing.

Was he falling? The air kept moving and he wasn't anywhere that could be close to the ground. No, because his curls weren't moving up, they were pressed flat against his forehead. He was moving...up.

For the first time, his brain registered that familiar green electricity wrapping around his legs. This must be a powered-up jump, one strong enough to launch him so high that the world below fell away completely. 

Izuku forced his head up, finally seeing his destination. His hand was outstretched, fingers desperately trying to grab onto the person above.

He could see his reflection, face worn and tight, in big ruby eyes.

Izuku gasped.

His fingers grazed hers but all at once, he was falling. A scream ripped through his throat as he fell, plummeting further and further away.

"No!" He screamed.

---

"No!"

Izuku shot up. Gasping as he tried to refill his lungs with air. The bed was hard below him- no not a bed. He'd been laying on the storage room's floor, the concrete cold to the touch. The state of his resting place was not helping the ache in his muscles. Everything hurt like his limbs had been frozen and were now in the thawing process. 

Someone placed a hand on his chest, gently but firmly pushing him back down. 

A violent shiver racked through his body. He hated feeling so disoriented, it reminded him too much of the first time he'd woken up on the ground like this. With as much energy as he could conjure he tried to sit back up, but the hand wouldn't let him, holding him down with considerable strength.

"Hold still. You might have hit your head," someone cautioned. He knew that voice.

Izuku blinked, letting his eyes focus on the person above him. Glassy eyes came into view, half-covered by locks of red and white hair. 

"Todoroki? What are you doing here? What's going on?"

Todoroki blinked as if the answer was obvious. "Saving you," he said slowly. Even in the midst of a rescue he looked lost. His eyes searched Izuku's face rapidly as if all the answers were painted there.

"Are you okay? You were just laying there I thought..." he trailed off, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Izuku laughed. That was definitely not what a hero was supposed to say in the middle of a rescue. But it was so Todoroki that he couldn't critique it, it was endearing in its own weird way. His eyes darted to the side as he heard thundering footsteps racing through the building, followed by shouts. There were other heroes here?