I Didn't Sign Up For This

Aizawa POV:

Shouta didn't quite know how he expected the kid to act after his first day back, but it certainly wasn't Midoriya beaming and talking openly with Uraraka as he left the building. His features were smoothed over, the usual creases of worry were completely gone.

Normally he'd stay after training to grade papers and regret his life decisions. But there was no way he was letting problem child go home by himself. Knowing his luck, there would be a mental breakdown, fire, or both before he stepped through the door.

So now he was stuck with babysitting duty.

He watched Midoriya walk down the steep stairs of the school. His eyes were glued to Uraraka, not even looking where he was stepping as they walked down. They seemed to be having a very animated conversation.

When Midoriya caught sight of Shouta he turned, saying something to Uraraka, before jogging over.

"Hi Shouta" Midoriya greeted. His face was still open, an easy smile there Shouta hadn't seen since the memory loss.

He looked younger than before somehow. 

"Hey kid," Shouta answered.

"School was better than I expected," Midoriya grinned, answering Shouta's unspoken question. He was getting too good at reading Shouta's expression.

A new thought popped in his head. "Didn't sell any drugs?" Shouta asked, trying to keep a straight face.

Midoriya scowled.

Shouta chuckled.

They started back to the house. Midoriya walked much too quickly. Honestly having energy after a school day should be a crime in itself. Multiple times Shouta had to tell Midoriya to slow down or watch where he was walking. 

By the time they made it back, Shouta was exhausted just from watching the kid for the short time span. 

It might have been different if this was the Midoriya that had all his memories intact. But this different, less tactful, Midoriya was an accident waiting to happen. It didn't help he had a quirk so powerful it was hard to control even when he had known what he was doing. Having his quirk now was like giving a puppy a bomb. 

"I'm going to start cooking dinner. Do you need anything?" Shouta asked, eyeing the kid. 

Midoriya shook his head, his already messy hair becoming even wilder. 

Shouta sighed and headed to the now very organized kitchen. It was a little like seeing someone after they cut their hair. He recognized the place, but just barely. He could actually see all the counter space, all the dishes were put away, even the cabinet door handles shined. He had reminded Midoriya he didn't have to pitch in while he was here but the kid had been determined. 

He got out a couple of bowls and preheated the oven. 

He'd never been one to have set meal times like this or even do much cooking to begin with. But it seemed to be the one thing he knew how to do when taking care of a teenager. 

It was easy to fall into a rhythm now. Getting out the necessary ingredients and thinking about what Midoriya would like. 

More than that, it was somehow comforting. Maybe on some subconscious level, Shouta was still trying to make up for Midoriya getting hit with that quirk, but he felt it was his responsibility to look out for the problem child.  

He grew quiet, taking out a pan and greasing it as he let his thoughts become background chatter. 

Another bowl was produced and soon vegetables and spices were being poured in kind. He'd never been one for measuring ingredients out, but it seemed to resemble some kind of food so he took it as a good sign.