I'm Not Going Back

Will just couldn't win. He didn't wanna stay awake to remember what his ex did, but every time he fell asleep it would rewind in his head.

It was Sunday. Two days after Mike broke his heart. Time seemed to pass slowly and quickly at the same time. The clock in his room ticked, driving him more crazy by the minute.

Joyce eventually entered his room, "Jesus, Will! What died in here?"

"Mom, please. I just wanna sleep in."

"You've been sleeping in for the past forty-eight hours. At this point, it's hibernating. You have to go to school tomorrow, you know."

Will covered his head with his thick blanket, "No."

"What do you mean by no?" His mother chuckled.

"I'm not going into a place where people are just going to laugh at me and make a fool out of me!" Will sniffled, wiping his tears away with the palm of his hand.

"What about that boy you're with..Michael? He's nice."

He felt a sharp pain in his chest when Joyce said that. "All he did was use me for his own entertainment and embarrass me in front of the school. I'm. Not. Going."

"What happened? What do you mean for his own entertainment?"

"He didn't love me. He never did. It was a dare. A dare! They were all in on it, too! I'm so stupid..."

Joyce let out a little growl in anger, "I'm gonna kill that little- anyways. Forget him! He's not worth your time or your tears."

Will felt his mother dry the tears streaming down his flushed cheeks. "I get how much it hurts to find out someone doesn't really love you. Trust me, I do. And I know you're heartbroken, so here's the deal."

Will looked up, "If you still feel really sad tomorrow, I'll let you stay home. If not then you're going. Deal?"

-

Mike dialed the Byers household one last time. "Hey! This is Joyce Byers! I'm sorry we can't answer the phone right now, just leave a message for who you wanna talk to!"

He groaned in frustration. Was a stupid dude really worth all of this? I mean, he was the one to believe a completely random stranger confessing their love.

But on the other hand...he knows it's not nearly as easy for him to say no. When you're used to being treated like garbage, especially in his scenario, you kind of have an overly positive view on everything.