Jane Hopper Snaps

(TW: gay slur and mentions of s*icide)

Things seemed to be going fine. Mike was still convinced that Will knew nothing, which was perfect. But something seemed off about Jane today. She was more irritable in science, differing from her usually chipper personality.

As usual, Mike waited for Will outside of his classroom, like a good "boyfriend" would do. "Hey, babe!"

"Hi, Mike!" Will smiled at him, grabbing his hand. Mike was fine with him doing that by now. He wasn't bothered by it, like he used to be. The smell of freshly baked pizza wavered through the halls, "Ready for lunch?"

"Yep!"

They walked to the huge cafeteria, talking about random memories along the way. It was loud, really loud, in the lunchroom. The entire student body seemed to be in there. He caught his friends at their usual table, food sprawled all over it. "Hey, guys!" Lucas waved at him and his boyfriend. His friends seemed to be more welcoming to him as they first had been.

"What's going on, dudes?" Max set down her salad, "I see that you're wearing the sweatshirt I suggested, Will. Good taste!"

"Thanks!" Will laughed, high-fiving her after he finished his sentence. They all seemed to be closer. Max seemed less sarcastic, Lucas seemed more welcoming, and Dustin seemed less fake. Things were going good. Except for Jane.

She had been giving Will dirty looks since he sat down. What was her problem? Why was she so worked up about it? It isn't affecting her in any way. "El?" Lucas looked at her, "you seemed pissed, what's wrong?"

She angrily set down her lunchbox and glared at him, flaring her nostrils, "You know exactly what's fucking wrong."

"No, I don't! You look so hostile for no reason, what's up?"

"This idiot over here!" She snapped quite loudly, causing a few heads to turn in their directions. Jane was pointing in Will's direction. Mike tightened his grip on the others hand.

"Woah! What's with the insults?" Max chuckled, eyes wide.

"This dumbass can't take any fucking clues! And you all are just allowing this?" Mike looked visibly surprised by her outburst, "Oh, don't look so hurt! You know exactly why I'm saying this."

"Jesus Christ, can you calm down? He was literally just sitting there! He's never said anything rude to you!" Dustin glared at her.

"Mike's just defending him so you can give him your money! Are you fucking dense?"

Will turned to him, voice quiet. "What's she talking about?"

"Uh...um..." Mike suddenly remembered. This was fake. This dating thing was supposed to be fake. Jesus Christ, how would he tell him?

"He doesn't love you! It was a bet!" She shouted, causing the lunchroom to go silent. Hundreds of pairs of eyes changed their focus to the commotion.

"What?"

"He. Doesn't. Love. You!" She punctuated every word with a slam to the table, "Who would? Nobody, not even the world's most desperate person, would love your queer ass!"

Will dropped his hand.

Everyone was silent, waiting for someone to say something. But Jane continued, "Why don't you just kill yourself?! The world would be a much better place!"