Clocks Ticking

(Continued from last chapter)

And it was true. His mom raised such a damn jerk. He wished he knew better than to mess with peoples feelings like that. He should've known better than to act the way he did.

But there's nothing he can do and no way he can take it back.

Maybe if he just wasn't born in the first place, this wouldn't have happened. Will would've been left alone and he wouldn't be going through the heartache that he is right now.

Nobody came into his room to yell at him for how horrible of a person he is. Nobody came in his room at all. Maybe it was for the better. He doesn't deserve anyones attention.

Why is he even feeling sorry for himself? If anything he should be begging Will for forgiveness.

Or should he just leave him alone?

Mike hated how indecisive he was about things like this.

Should he go call someone and ask them for help?

"Mike! Nancy! Dinner!" His mom yelled

Dinner time already? It was only 5 pm. He trudged downstairs and sat in his designated seat. Nancy asked the question all the kids were thinking, "Why are we eating so early? I just finished my homework."

Karen giggled and gave her husband a look, "Date night. Couples counseling suggested it. But we'll be home way later tonight! Don't worry."

Mike nearly gagged at the thought of what his old ass parents could be doing on a date. He didn't wanna think about it. He also didn't wanna think about romance. After what he had done? He deserved to be alone for the rest of his young life.

"What happened at school today?" His father asked after scooping gooey macaroni on his spoon.

"This girl got asked out as a joke at lunch. Didn't see her for the rest of the hour. But when I did, her face was so red I thought she was wearing face paint."

Yikes.

"Jeez..what kind of cruel joke-"

Hearing that from his mother hurt. It's like the universe was purposefully trying to make him feel like absolute shit...and it was working.

"Michael, you're quiet. Anything happened with you recently?"

"Uhm," he cringed. Nancy was giving him a dirty look, was she gonna snitch? "Nothing! Nothing happened."

"Really? You remember Claudia right," his mom asked. He could feel his heart drop, "she said you fell out with Jane."

"Uh..."

"In fact, she said Jane fell out with the whole group. What happened? Dustin won't tell her."

"Just...a disagreement. Yeah, that's it."

"Really?" Nancy gasped. She was so obviously faking it, it was almost amusing, "What happened Mike? What did you do?"

"Nothing!" He snapped, "Listen, I don't feel good. I have a stomach ache. Can I go lay down?"

Ted gave him a look, "But you've barely even touched your pot roast."

"I know! I'm not hungry. Can I leave?"

"Ted, let him," Karen muttered, "arguing will get us no where. Plus we need to leave soon."

Mike left the dinner table without anyone answering his question. He locked the door, flopped onto his bed, then let out a big sigh.

He just wanted things to go back to normal. He wanted all his friends to be back together, he wanted Nancy to not be mad at him, and he just wanted to feel good.

But none of those things could happen. None of them wanted contact with Jane after what she said, Nancy wouldn't be satisfied until Jonathan is, and knowing what's going on isn't gonna make him feel better.

He didn't want things to be normal, because normal would mean he wouldn't be friends with Will. What's a good way to put this? He wanted things to get better.

At least he still had the rest of his friends. They were all in this shit-show together. They all felt bad and they all regretted their actions.

He sat up after thinking about his friends. Maybe he should call them. Mike ran to the home phone and dialed Lucas' number.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's Mike."

"Oh, hey. How are you doing?"

"Good...bad. How's Will?"

"He's...I guess doing better? He started talking to me again, and has been talking to Dustin for a while. But I think he's still hurt."

"I'd assume so. I don't blame him, I'm a bad person."

"Dude, we made one mistake. It's not like it changes our whole life. He's gonna talk to you again, don't worry."

"I wasn't even worried about-" Mike blushed, "whatever. I don't deserve forgiveness. He's truly too good for us if he forgives me for this."

"So you don't want him to forgive you?"

"No! I'm saying- I don't know. I want him to but I don't deserve it. Everything's confusing right now."

"Well, we can talk about this later at school. I have to go walk Erica to the store, it's dark and she can't go by herself."

"Yeah. Bye," Mike mumbled before hanging up. Hopefully it'll get better soon.

But hope is different from a promise.