Take Some Time To Think

The rest of the day went by slowly. How could he work after everything that happened? Mike couldn't focus, the only thing in his head was Jane's accusations of him liking his fake ex.

Will was in his last class of the day. Mike tried to apologize, he really did. But he couldn't man up and say something. He would give Will glances throughout the period, his gaze being met with the angriest stare he's seen from anyone in his lifetime. It was the kind of stare that makes you want to melt into the ground and never talk to anyone again.

But it's what he deserved.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Mike deserved every ounce of hatred Will radiated from his body. He should've never agreed to this. Playing with someone's feelings is messed up, regardless of how well you know them. Sure they would've been perfect strangers if Dustin never gave him that dare, but Mike wouldn't feel as horrible as he did now.

The bell rang, signaling the school day has ended. Mike took a deep breath and walked over to Wills desk as the rest of the students filtered out of the congested classroom. Will shot him a death stare before getting up and leaving the class, not letting Mike say anything.

But, like the glares, it's what he deserved.

Apologizing shouldn't be easy. He didn't deserve the luxury of just giving a simple sorry then having everything be peachy keen again. He had to work for it. But then again, apologizing didn't always promise forgiveness.

Will didn't have to forgive him. He didn't expect him to forgive him. Mike got him in a vulnerable state, had him tell all his darkest secrets, then reveal that it was all an act. If that happened to anyone it would be a pain to forgive. He left the class in a quiet state and didn't feel like talking to anyone.

All of his friends, minus Jane, were all waiting for him near the bike rack. "Have you apologized to him yet?" Lucas asked, pulling his forest green bike off of the rack.

"No...I've tried but- I can't. I'm scared."

"Of what?" Max gave him a look, "Anyways, maybe you should give him some space. I mean...I can't even imagine being in his shoes right now."

But Mike didn't want to give him space. He wanted to apologize and promise that he'd never do it again. Max was correct though. He might need some space to cool down from the whole thing. He deserved it.

"Yeah. I guess you're right. He needs time to himself."

The ride home was filled with conversations of what had happened during their time apart, drama about their parents or siblings, and assignments that they hated. Once they all walked their separate ways, Mike was alone.

He made his way to his room, not bothering to greet his mother or father after a long day. He flopped onto the fluffy bedsheets and let out a big sigh.

"My mom raised such an asshole..."