I'm Sorry, My Sweet Baby (I wish I'd been there)

AN: omg, another Karen POV? This chap is full of fnaf references bc Karen is a loving mother [in this book at least] ^^ I don't think I ever specified, but Mike and Will dated for 3 months before Jane decided to break them up. I was just too lazy to write it.

Karen brushed out her fluffy blonde hair, smiling at the way it fell over her shoulders. She wiped off the heavy makeup she was wearing and threw the dirty wipe in the trash. She was truly blessed, looking this good in her late 40's? Many other moms could never. She frowned at the wrinkles of age creasing around her eyes and the corners of her mouth (okay, maybe she didn't look as good as she thought). Her self evaluation was interrupted by muffled sobs raking throughout the house.

She quickly wrapped up her self-love mantra and followed the noise into her sons room. There he was, crying on the floor of his room curled into a tight ball. "Mike? You're supposed to be at sc- woah! What's going on? You okay?" She gasped, deciding to dismiss the fact he was back home from school 3 hours earlier. She knelt down next to him and started stroking his back.

"M-mom-" Mike choked back another cry. "I-"

"Shh, shh...it's okay. Tell me what happened," she mumbled. She took his head into her hands, wiping away the stray tears streaming down his face.

"I knew it! I fucking knew you were queer! I should've known the moment you made out with that one guy as a joke!" Jane laughed. Mikes heart dropped once he realized his mistake. "And aren't your parents homophobic? They'd hate it if they found out their precious son ran around here kissing men.."

"El, what happened to you?! I thought you were my friend! What kind of friend acts like this?!"

"No, actually, what kind of man goes so soft for another man like that? I thought you were...I don't know..masculine. I guess I was wrong."

"Jane..."

"Honestly, it's on me for dating a sissy like you. Should've seen the signs."

Jane didn't wait for him to respond, she only shoved past him and disappeared down the hallway. He was left staring after her in shock, jaw slack at the sheer audacity of her words. Her jabs felt like the kind of pain that rips your insides out, but she still said them like they were nothing.

"Oh, Mike..." Karen kissed the top of her crying sons head. She hadn't expected this from anyone; especially her sons ex girlfriend turned (ex?) best friend. "I'm sorry my sweet baby, I wish I'd been there."

She set a protective arm around his body, like he was a baby again. "M-mom...I like...I think I like boy-boys..." Mikes sentence was interrupted by strings of hiccups and sobs.

"Alone and afraid for so long," Karen whispered. She continued cradling him like a small child. "Neither me or your father would hate you for liking boys. I don't know where you got that horrid idea from, but neither of us could ever hate you for loving boys. You didn't do anything wrong."

"Really?"

"Really."

She ran perfectly manicured fingernails through his fluffy black hair. He looked up at her with a pitiful expression; similar to one he'd give her as a child when he had a bad nightmare and needed her comfort. Well, that's kinda what he's doing now right? He needed comfort from an awful nightmare (school) and needed her comfort. It was sweet. Nostalgic, even.

"You don't need to hate yourself for loving who you love."

"And that's okay?"

"It's more than okay."

Karen attempted to make a joke. "You know, most women would hate me for loving your father, but I still do. You know why? Because I know it's right."

Okay, now that the coming out bit was over, she needed to ask him about this boy..if said boy wasn't a sensitive topic.

"So, this boy, was it the one you told me about earlier?"

"Ye-eah. I think I- I caught feelings for him in-in our second month of d-dating," Mike shuddered out. His cries had died down by now and were reduced to shaky breaths and quiet cries. "N-not exactly dating. Fake-fake dating."

"Oh, well, what do you like about him?"

"He...he's so sweet. And he- even though his brother doesn't like me, he still welcomed me into his home. He's witty and smart-smarter than I thought. Despite everything he's been through, he-he still sees the positive in the world. How?! He saw a side of the world I'll hopefully never get to-to see and still has faith in humanity. Oh, and his eyes, mom! They're so wide and pretty, I love looking into them. He says he hates his moles and beauty marks, but I love them. And his hair is so, so, so soft. It's like diving onto a mattress.."

Karen felt her heart melt at the adorable sentiment. Her son really was in love, huh? Her face broke out in a grin thinking about the fact; him finally finding someone who he could be happy with. Mike really did deserve to be happy.

"Hearing the way you talk about him makes me think you'd be a great boyfriend."

Mike looked away from her, flustered. "What's his moms name?" She asked him.

Her son sat in thought for a few seconds. "Joyce, I think? Do you maybe know her?"

Karen snapped her fingers and grinned. "Yes! She joined the Hawkins Moms Facebook group a while ago! You know, I could maybe friend her and look at her account to see what Will likes? Then maybe you could try to befriend him!"

Mike wiped the tears from his eyes. "Really? You'd- you'd do that for me?"

"Hun, I'd walk through fire to make sure you're happy. This is absolutely nothing."

She gave him a tight hug. Karen could practically feel her baby smiling into the warm embrace. "I love you, mom."

"I love you too."

She cupped his face in her two hands, looking down on him with a fond smile. His sweet eyes and smile made her heart practically melt. Their sweet moment was interrupted by a door slam and three different voices; two calling for their mom and one calling for his wife. Karen gave Mike one last kiss on the forehead before standing up.

"Alright, I need to go check with your siblings and dad. Do you need anything before I leave?"

Mike shook his head. "No. Thank you again, mom."

"It's no problem."

She gave him a grin before leaving his bedroom to greet the rest of her family. She gave Ted a chaste kiss on the cheek, causing Holly to make a noise of disgust. Karen laughed and ruffled Holly's hair.

The girl gave her mom a quick hug before making a dash up to her own room. "Don't forget to do your homework!" Karen called after her. Nancy gave her mom a quick side hug then mentioned needing to leave to meet her boyfriend Jonathan.

After a short conversation with Ted, she got out her phone and opened up her social media apps. Why, you may ask?

She had stuff to do, of course.

AN: pretty short chapter, but anyways!! This was the last emotional chapter of this book, fluff without any angst is in the future <3