Someone Finally Loves Me!

Will Byers is used to a few things. He is used to having homophobic slurs thrown at him, he is used to being relentlessly teased in class, and he is used to being insulted. Though all of these events happen a lot, they still manage to hurt him.

But one thing he wasn't used to was having someone ask him out.

It's only happened once. With Mike Wheeler. Sure, Will didn't know him, but he was pretty sweet! His mother had always told him that he shouldn't trust everyone so easily; he believed her. Unfortunately due to his destroyed childhood, he views things in an innocent, cheerful way.

Will didn't realize how mean Mike could become.

Don't tell him I told you.

So when Mike Wheeler confessed his love, he was over the moon. Nobody had ever liked him like that before! Let alone someone as cute as Mike! When he got home that day, he ran through the house looking for his mom and brother. He was just so excited, he had to tell someone.

Unfortunately, neither of them were home.

So he went into his safe space, Castle Byers, in the small backyard. Castle Byers was a place him and Jonathan built when they first moved to Hawkins. It was small, sure, but it was like a second home. He'd never consider letting someone that's not a family member in there, but maybe Mike was different.

He was sure Mike was different. They have a connection, he thought.

Will giggled and felt his cheeks heat up. He's been waiting for this day for such a long time and now it was finally here! He pulled a book from under the mattress and smiled, running his fingers against the cold cover. He outlined the title, 'Romeo and Juliet'. This was a book that he's had for a long time. He's read it so many times and fantasized about having a love life like theirs, minus the double suicide at the end. Whenever he went to bed, he said this exact wish.

I wish to have someone love me, take care of me, and be mine. I want someone to call me theirs and only theirs. I want someone to make me happy. Please, God, I'll do anything! I've tried being my best, I just want a little reward.

He's said that every night for the past five years.

This turned Will Byers into a hopeless romantic. Every time he heard a song that was even slightly romantically themed, he'd imagine someone serenading him outside his window with it. All he wanted was for someone to treat him nice, everyone was always so rude to him.

But now, he hopefully had someone to do that to him. And his name was Mike Wheeler. The cutest, most beautiful, and kind boy he's ever seen. He was head over heels for someone. He was finally happy.

Will grabbed his journal from the dirt beside him and smiled at the pages.

August 26, 2014
I just want a boyfriend, am I unlovable? :(

He wished he could go back in time and tell his younger self to just hold on for a little longer, it'll be worth the wait. He scribbled down something, smiling with each pencil stroke.

Just hold on past Will. It'll get better.

He closed the journal and squealed, Jesus Christ, Will was acting like a lovesick idiot. But at least he was a happy lovesick idiot.