Chapter 4: Surprised, Nick's Pov

Somebody knocked at my door which sent my heart pounding loudly. 

Only mom knocks at my door when I'm at my music room and knowing that they have not yet arrived I was terrified to look and discover someone else.

I thought that if I just ignored the knock, it would just go away.

Knock Knock

Knock Knock

Knock Knock

Knock Knock

Knock Knock

"I know you're in there" The voice belonged to Frankie's babysitter who I ran into the bathroom a while ago. "I'm sorry about what happened! I really am"

"My name's Demi." 

I still did not open the door. 

"I gotta go now, but I will be back and I hope that we could be friends" She said.

"I'm sorry, again" She said again.

I could feel her steps walking away. I looked at the keyhole to watch her walking away.

Suddenly, I feel sorry that I didn't open the door. She made an effort to actually talk to me, I guess that's what scared me.

What did she want from me?

"Demi! DEMI! Demi is here!"

Frankie ran at the door the next day.

Demi is here. 

The truth was, I was actually pretty surprised she came back. You know being locked up in this house for a long time, I figured that the people who visits us never comes back. Take Frankie's baby sitters for example, he's had the longest line of baby sitters in this town.

As soon as they would see me, its resignation for them, no matter how much the pay was.

I wasn't crazy. I'm just different. 

I'm just pretending to be not okay so that Joe can finish high school without me standing in his spotlight. A spotlight for the different kind, for the crazy ones. 

I don't take my medicine anymore. I talked to my doctor about it and she agreed that it was a good thing. I mean, I'm okay, I feel okay and I look okay. It's just that me being "crazy" had been my way of life, our way of life and if I come out now, Joe would never forgive me, now that he was all mr. popular and mr. Hearthrob.

Only my doctor knows about my little secret.

Everyone would laugh at him if anyone fouund out that he has a brother stashed in the top floors of their mansion after all these years. In short, he might lose everything.

A mentally ill brother was definitely a laughing stock for a superior family like ours.

"Hello nick!" there was a knock on my door. I peeked through the keyhole but nobody was there.

I opened the door and found brownies outside my door.

Thank you Demi.

I could hear her and Frankie playing at his room. I wanted to come down and watch them, but I was too scared.

I've never been friends with anyone. Why start now?

Maybe if she saw me, she'll also ran away.

"Hey"

I stood frozen to the floor.

I was still looking at the brownies, apparently I have not moved.

"Hey" She was at my side instantly.

I looked at her and saw that she was smiling at me.

"are you okay?"

I nodded.

"Do you need help?" She touched my arm, I couldn't moved. I stood captivated by her eyes.

"What are you doing here?"

"Frankie asked me to send you an orange juice, he said you love it, but I decided to bring you milk because it goes way better with the brownies"

"Thank you" I said as I took the milk and went in the room, "goodbye"

"Okay, nice meeting you! I'm Demi"

Demi, that was a nice name.

I ate the brownies with the milk, they do taste good together.

I have formulated a theory that Demi will soon leave me alone as soon as I ignore here more for a few more days.

I was pathetic, I was looking for ways to shun away the only girl who would look at me with kindness and not disgust.

Demi knocked again on my door later that afternoon.

"Hey, your mom told me to just have dinner delivered, she'll be home late, you want anything?"

"No thank you"

"okay then" 

That was another conversation, I think we're becoming friends.

It was already 10:00 and I was sure that Demi would have gone home by now, as I crept downstairs to go to the kitchen.

Joe was not yet home, oh yeah, its a friday night, probably out with his bros drinking or just partying.

"Oh no Joe"

I heard Demi's voice as she opened the door.

I watched her open the door to a drunken Joe.

I made sure she does not see me as I watch her.

"Joe!"

Joe fell on her arms, Joe's too heavy for a girl like her, maybe I should go help but my knees were too weak.

"Come on Joe"

She supported Joe as they slowly walked towards the living room

"So               much                fun" Joe was mumbling words as he walked slowly, leaning on Demi towards the couch on the living room.

"Too early Joe, its only 10:00 and you're already home here" 

"Can't take                      anymore" Joe said. "Police                arrived"

Demi stumbled as Joe leaned on her with all his weight.

"Too heavy" she said.

Joe fell on the couch, but his other arm was still hanging on to Demi, so Demi fell on top of him at the couch.

"Ew Joe! You smell disgusting"

"Tell            my        girlfriends       sorry"

"What a jerk, how many are we talking about?" Demi said as she picked herself up from Joe.

"Taylor, and Miley and Emma"

Demi took his cellphone from Joe's jacket and texted the girls.

"Okay stay put there Joe, I'll just go get something" 

Then suddenly she was gone, I couldn't find her anymore.

I decided to just get what I originally planned on getting from the kitchen. I wanted pizza. I stood up and went towards the refrigerator.

The refrigerator was open from my view, but there seems to be no one on the other side. I was about to touch the handle when it suddenly closed.

"Sheeeeeeeeeeesh Nick! You scared me" Demi said as I tried hard to suppress a scream as I was also scared to see her there.

"Can you help me for a second?" She asked

I nodded and followed her to the living room.

"Can you help me take Joe's clothes of?"

I looked at her in confusion.

"He's sweating like a pig and he might throw up any minute so he told me to change him, can't argue with the popstar" She said.

So I helped her. Even thought I didn't say a word to her, I like to think that we are finally friends.